Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bwfc122
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Broadband Service Activation Query

Hi there,

Today is finally the day my new fibre broadband is being activated, I have put up with a crappy 1mb-3mb connection for two years and today is the day the upgrade is happening.

The engineer completed what he needed to do at the new cabinet and exchange this morning, I received text messages to confirm he has finished.

I have already installed my new smart hub router ( I am an IT Tech so I have followed the procedure correctly) and I got an email from BT an hour after the engineer had completed his work saying that your new broadband service is ready to use.

Unfortunately its not and I have a Flashing Purple light on my router which indicates router is good, but no broadband.

Any ideas? Could there be a fault?

Kind Regards,

Jack 

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Broadband Service Activation Query

While in most cases the broadband should work when BT email you it can however take up to midnight to activate in some instances.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Is your phone line working, can you get dial tone, and is it the right number?

Its not unknown for there to be issues with the local pair records, resulting in a crossed or disconnected pair.

0 Ratings
bwfc122
Beginner
Message 4 of 13

Thanks for you reply.

We dont have a landline connected and I do not have one to test it with unfortunately. 

Kind Regards,

Jack

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

That is a pity, because without a working phone line the broadband will not work.

Having a cheap wired phone (£5) is a very useful tool to diagnose any faults, especially a noisy or disconnected line.

You do not need to leave it plugged in all of the time, but just keep it for fault finding, as it could save you an £85 visit charge if the problem is within your own house.

Disconnected pairs, or one wire disconnected, are very common faults on the local network.

0 Ratings
bwfc122
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

I had a brand new phone line installed last year and the internet was working this morning before the engineer visit, I will give it until tomorrow and if its still not activated i'll contact BT.

Kind Regards,

Jack 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Your ADSL connection would have come from equipment in the exchange.

VDSL is introduced by intercepting your pair in the normal cabinet, and diverting in and out via tie cables between that cabinet and the fibre cabinet.

Provided this has been done, and there are no faults within the fibre cabinet or on the tie cables, then the line should exit the cabinet with both dial tone and superimposed VDSL signal.

I would have been very surprised if Openreach were doing provision work today, as Bank Holidays used to be for emergency work only.

See what happens tomorrow.

Starwire
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

Openreach have been doing Provision work over the BH weekend as a lot of areas currently have Engineers working compulsory overtime.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

@Starwire wrote:

Openreach have been doing Provision work over the BH weekend as a lot of areas currently have Engineers working compulsory overtime.

How times have changed...

0 Ratings
bwfc122
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Still no broadband today, rang BT and they said everything has been activated their end, They also said they could not pass me through to their fault diagnostic teams due to their phones also being dead!

Sounds like the engineer has messed up on this occasion, not happy at all as now I have no internet at all!

0 Ratings