I have a FTTC broadband connection supplied by BT. It had been running perfectly for many years. Usual speeds are 72Mbps down and 18Mbps up.
All connections are via ethernet not wifi and am on the Fibre 2 package.
Several days ago I noticed both speeds had dropped to 47Mbps down and 10Mbps up. About 12 hours later the upload speed has returned to 17Mbps up but the download has remained at around 47Mbps.
I logged a fault call with BT via their text service and after running some network tests said there was an issue that required an engineer.
Today, when I check the status of the fault it says the engineer visit (I assume they mean to the street cabinet) had been completed but that they are still working on the fault.
I do not use the Home Hub 5. I use a BT modem and an Asus router. However, to prove it was nothing to do with my setup I plugged my Home Hub 5 in and ran the speed tests again and got the same results.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem is likely to be?
Solved! Go to Solution.
does your phone work - basis check for broadband problems if working dial 17070 option 2 should be silent and best with corded phone
if hh5 still connected post stats troubleshooting then helpdesk
Yes the phone works fine.
I did the silent line test and it is absolutely dead silent.
As i said in the OP I am using a BT openreach Modem and Asus Router not HH5
I am loathed to plug the HH5 in again because of the DLM registering faults.
I have just been onto the Broadband DSL checker and I've noticed that the Max Observed download speed is showing 54.99 and Upload is 20 observed on 12.04.20
VDSL Range A Clean is 80/20 High and 67.5/19 Low
VDSL Range B Impacted is 80/20 High 64.9/19 Low
Now this fits in with that date the speed suddenly dropped from 72Mbps
It almost looks like BT have deliberately throttled my connection even if they claim not to do it.
I have data saved of speed tests i have done over the years that show download speeds of 72Mbps Rock Solid
Whats going on here?
can you post any stats form the asus or are all stats held in a locked modem
BT are not restricting or reducing or throttling your speed. have you tried conencting to test socket with filter to see if that helps your connection have you noticed drops in conenction recently or checked stats to see if there has been drops recently
Connecting directly to the socket with the filter will mean disconnecting first and then that wakes up the dreaded DLM.
I have not seen any drops in the connection and it is used 24/7
I don't know how to access the stats in the modem. Only way I could get the stat info is to re-connect the HH5 but then we are back to that DLM thing again😡
OK I have followed the advise seen in another thread.
I have plugged my HH5 into the master socket and run a speed test.
Still get the same result of around 42/17
I have now plugged myself back into the BT modem and my Asus Router as I need the functionality
However, i did get the stats of the HH5 first which you can see below.
Basically up until about 3 or 4 days ago and for the last 5 years where is says in the above images the following:
Data Rate 19999 / 52612 it used to be 19999/72xxx
Downstream 51.38 Mbps used to be 72.xx
The next image shows a speed test I have just done with the HH5
So as you can see their has been a dramatic drop in download speed.
Below is the BT ADSL Checker for your ref as well
Really hope this can get resolved.
If openreach today said they are still trying to fix a fault then need to wait and see if fixing fault returns your speed. No point in trying something if fault is outside your home
the drops in connection speed and the increased noise margin suggest connection problems
Finally, after 2 missed appointments, a BT Openreach engineer called today.
The solution to our trouble is below.
A short while ago we had a storm. As a result, we lost the dial tone on the phones but the broadband continued to work normally.
A BT engineer came out and replaced the master socket faceplate. He changed it from a type 6 to a type 1 as shown in the picture below and added a micro-filter. The dial tone was then back.
Today's engineer arrived and ran some tests.
He replaced the master socket faceplate putting it back to its original type 6 and hey presto problem solved.
Speeds are back to normal and the connection has been up for well over 7 hours which prior to this visit would have just been a dream.
Noise Margin is back to where it should be as well. Down from 16.7 to 6.1
It also turns out that since the type 6 socket completely separates the broadband signal from the extension wiring no micro-filter is required on the extension. This makes perfect sense as prior to the type 1 socket being fitted there was never a micro-filter on the extension and the line had operated perfectly since it was installed about 5 or 6 years ago.
So, in conclusion, our troubles were caused by a storm and an engineer fitting a faulty faceplate.
Happy days, latest line stats below. Hope it stays like this, it's looking very promising.😀