Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Millsworth
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Broadband Speed Decrease

Go to solution

Hi, over the past 2 weeks I seem to have lost about 10 mbps speed on my broadband connection. I was getting pretty much the full 52 mbps speed that my package was advertised with for months, but for the past 2 weeks it has slowed to around 42 mbps every time I test the connection (using speedtest.net, multiple hosts tried).

I have tried all the obvious things like plugging the router in to the master socket, resetting the router, changing the cables, speed test is through 1000 mbps ethernet cable connection to computer, only one device on etc.

I can see no mention anywhere on the BT site of issues in my area, and my phone line sounds clean with no noise. I was wondering whether this is likely to be due to the issues BT have had recently with broadband connections dropping out and if other people have noticed the same with their BT broadband recently? Is my speed likely to improve again on its own?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband Speed Decrease

Go to solution

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

Are you using test socket with a filter?

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Millsworth
Beginner
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution
Hi, thank you for your reply. The speed has actually picked up again today; something has changed with my line as earlier in the week my router stated: 6. Data Rate: 9995 / 45228 7. Maximum Data Rate: 20704 / 45231 8. Noise Margin: 16.1 / 6.3 9. Line Attenuation: 13.5 / 12.4 10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0 and now it's up to: 6. Data Rate: 9995 / 54997 7. Maximum Data Rate: 22243 / 93827 8. Noise Margin: 13.7 / 22.5 9. Line Attenuation: 13.1 / 11.7 10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0 Fingers crossed it stays like this! Thanks again.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

That is more than 100% increase in attainable speed so obviously a line/connection problem. Hopefully now fixed and not just a blip and then back to where you were

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Hi @Millsworth,

Thanks for posting. It looks like you're all sorted so I'll mark this as resolved but if you have any further problems post back and we'll be happy to help.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”