Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThomasKL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Broadband Speed and Disconnection Issues

Hello

I'm having an ongoing issue with my Broadband right now. I have spoken to BT Live Help on a couple of occassions but not got anywhere with it as it stands as I've not scheduled a chosen a time for an engineer to visit and do not believe the issue is inside my home.

Now I will point out, I had pretty much the same problem as this a few months ago. My connection was dropping at random times, especially at night, and my speed had decreased. On my HUB my DL connection is usually 79.99 and my Upstream 19.99, speed tests would generally give me around 74mb down.

As it stands right now my DL Connection is 49 and my upstream keeps fluctuating between 15 and then down to around 4-6mbps every time it disconnects and comes back on. My Noise Margin seems to be changing as well, I've seen it at 6db at one point but right now it's 18bB/20dB.

When I previously had an issue like this an engineer came to my home, and it turned out to be a full day thing, he spend hours trying to find the problem, renewing the line, moving the master socket for me ( a new NTE5c one ). After renewing basically everything he finally found the fault which I unfortunately cannot remember what it was but I believe it was some small part that needed renewing and he had not spotted it as the disconnections happened randomly. Everything was smooth after that, all sorted, back up to high speeds and great.

Now my problem has started again. I've had a new BT Smart Hub sent out this week as my other one would not factory reset and I figured it was rubber ducked. New one is now in but problem persists. I've been told to reset the router but I've done it numerous times and nothing.

Sorry I know, real long post. Any ideas besides having to take time out to get an engineer round again?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Broadband Speed and Disconnection Issues

First stop resetting the hub, it will cause more problems as DLM will be tricked into thinking there is a connection problem and take action in an attempt to stabalise the connection

Second check for noise on your line 17070 option 2, best with corded phone.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Hi @ThomasKL,

It's good to see you back on the Community and thank you for posting. I'm sorry you've been experiencing problems with your connection. Have you had a chance to try the quiet line test as suggested by @pippincp?

If you need help getting your service repaired, please post back and I'll take a look at this for you.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
ThomasKL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 15

Afternoon.

I did try a quiet line test but it was possibly not a good incling as I was using a cordless phone as that's all I have in the house. It seemed silent enough I think. BT phoned me and tested the line again remotely themselves and said there is an issue and an Engineer is due to visit today. It's strange, the disconnections have reduced quite a lot since the speed of the net has dropped to around 49mbp and 7up, it cuts out every few hours now compared to multiple times in the space of minutes when the problem started.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

the quiet line test should be silent with no noise but if using cordless then a dull hum is normal and anything else is a problem

post back after engineer visit which hopefully will fix the problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
ThomasKL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 15

I did the test firstly on the front plate connection (NTE5C Socket) and it sounded a little hiss and crackling. I then tried it on the inside master socket and it was quite silent just a kinda light hiss or wind sound maybe. I did plug a filter into the master socket and put the phone and net into that to see if it improved the issue but it did not.

I will update when the engineer has been.

0 Ratings
ThomasKL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 15

Engineer came out last night, nice lad. He came and checked indoors and spoke with a guy on the phone doing line tests, he wasn't able to do anything though as apparently he wasn't able to work on the outsides of the house where there is a network problem. Supposed to be sending out Openreach Engineers today between 8 and 1pm, not heard nothing from them yet though.

0 Ratings
ThomasKL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 15

UPDATE:

So I waited yesterday morning from 8 to 1 and no sign of any engineers. I was then receiving messages from BT about booking one, spoke to them on live chat and the phone and I told them an Engineer had been here the night before and that he wasn't able to work on the outdoors so he booked an appointment for me on the phone whilst I was stood there for 8 to 1 the next morning, they then told me "An Engineer cannot book an Engineer and so you need to book one with us..... Fine, she found me a slot for today between 1 and 6pm. I've been in waiting all day and no Engineer turned up.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 15

It was not a BT or Openreach engineer who attended it was a Qube engineer who can do nothing but check your setup. AKA a waste of time.

At least you now have an Openreach engineer booked.

0 Ratings
ThomasKL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 15

I see. Yea the lad was saying he had done his video interviews and passed some tests but was still waiting for Openreach to contact him because he wants to work on the outsides.

Just spoke to BT again. Honestly baffles me what they are doing at the moment as I mentioned about the engineers not turning up yesterday or today and now I'm told it's because they are going to have to dig up the road somewhere outside and it will be done by Wednesday.

0 Ratings