cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Broadband Speed and Stay Fast Guarantee

When I moved to Fibre in November  2019 BT said

We estimate your download speed will be between 49Mbps and 50Mbps

Your Stay Fast download speed is 42Mbps.

My speed in the first two weeks was around 40Mbps  it then started to dip to around about  30Mbps with three subsequent instances of about a week each where it went back to the 40Mbps figure.

I didn't  bother to report a slow broadband speed since the speed on the three occasions went to the 40Mbps figure

A week or so ago I got a reminder my contract is due to end shortly (in fact I have four months left) and there was a link to the BT deals.

I was a little surprised to see my current package was showing as:

29Mb - 32Mb
Download speed
8Mb - 9Mb
Upload speed
26Mb Stay Fast Guarantee

this is substantially lower than what I am ready contracted. Is it standard practice to change the Stay Fast Guarantee during the contact period?

There was a tempting offer to have this same package at £2:50 a month less than I'm currently paying.  Before taking up the offer I reported a slow broadband to BT which yesterday they said "Your Broadband problem has now been resolved and no further action is required." Does fixed mean my speed will move upwards to 40Mbps?

Also whilst waiting for BT to report back on my slow speed the BT deal on offer  has gone from £2:50 a month less than I am now paying to £4 a month more.

If in the coming months before my contact end I decide to take up a package offering 

29Mb - 32Mb
 Download speed
 8Mb - 9Mb
 Upload speed
 26Mb Stay Fast Guarantee

does this mean I am lumbered with this speed or is it likely to start going up to the 40Mbps?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Broadband Speed and Stay Fast Guarantee

@allanraymondwrote:
 Is it standard practice to change the Stay Fast Guarantee during the contact period?

Your stayfast guarantee hasn't changed, it's the speed you agreed when you entered the contract, the lower speed on a renewal is based on how your line has performed recently.

I'd advise reporting a fault, get the speed back to what it should before renewing, otherwise if you renew you're accepting a lower minimum guarantee, once the issue is resolved then renew, if it takes longer than 30 days from your reporting it for the speed to return, you can claim £20 (up to 4 claims per year)

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Speeds often reduce over time normally due to more customers and crosstalk

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Quiet test was OK but had to use cordless phone.

1.jpg

2.jpg

2.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

from what you have posted were you having problems with your connection dropping or maybe doing resets to try and improve speed or maybe both  Looks like even though you have 6 days stable you are in a banded profile hence why stuck at 35mb.  your upstream was 13mb on 18/7 but now down to 10mb

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that improves your attainable as actual as banded will not change

Dslchecker suggests range 73/53mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Had no noticeable problem with connection dropping and  haven't done any resets but inadvertently switched off power to the modem which ties in with the six days or so stable situation.

Unfortunately the master socket is located behind a group of heavy cabinets which straddle the full width of our dining room which means a good number of hours to dismantle and reassemble. I hold my hands up , this is of my doing, the socket was fitted by BT in  a suitable and accessible location in the dining room but subsequently I installed the cabinets without first having the socket moved.

I have an extension cord from the mast socket to the telephone and adjacent modem

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

That could easily be the reason your connection speed is not within the expected range shown on dslchecker

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

You may well be right.

However as mentioned in my initial post there were four (possibly I said three earlier) separate occasions where my download speed reached and exceeded 40Mbps.

Dec 2019

Oct 2020

Dec 2020

May 2021

These speeds lasted for about a week before slowly decreasing to 30-31 Mbps.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

All the speeds quoted by BT and shown in dslchecker are connection speeds not download speeds  there is no guarantee on download speed

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

The speed guarantee is sync speed as @imjolly states but also when connected to the master socket, not when connected to the master socket via an extention lead.

A big mistake not getting that socket moved before the units went in.

0 Ratings