cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Broadband Speed dropped with Smart Hub

Evening, I renewed my BT contract pre lock-down and was sent a new Smart Hub. Prior to fitting the new hub I was getting over 50Mbps, now I'm getting 19Mbps. I dont want to change back to the the old Home Hub 4 as this seems somewhat defeatist. Minimum guaranteed speed with the new contract is 45Mbps so I've raised a complaint with BT and await a reply. ShouId I just give up and move back to the old Home Hub? Thanks for any advice. John.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Broadband Speed dropped with Smart Hub

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information .  If you used a hh4 then you must have use a separated modem which is no longer needed with new hub

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 10

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply. Here's my feedback.

Quiet line test is OK.

Smart Hub stats:

I notice the speed reported is much higher than the 19Mbps I am seeing when using using  www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk. 

Product name: BT Hub 6A

Serial number: +084319+NQ93294022

Firmware version: SG4B1000E020

Firmware updated: 01-Jan-0001

Board version: 1.0

Gui version: 1.115.0

DSL uptime: 10 Days, 16 Hours 2 Minutes 26 Seconds

Data rate: 20.00 Mbps / 70.80 Mbps

Maximum data rate: 20579 / 72110

Noise margin: 6.4 dB / 3 dB

Line attenuation: 27.5 dB

Signal attenuation: 18.1 dB / 27.5 dB

VPI / VCI: 0/38

Modulation: G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type: Fast Path

Data sent / received: 13 GB Uploaded / 221 GB Downloaded

Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi: Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name: BTHub5-K5FZ

2.4 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name: BTHub5-K5FZ-5

5 GHz wireless channel: Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security: WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode: Mode 1

Firewall: On

MAC address: 78:65:59:9C:9E:4D

Software variant: -

Boot loader: 0.48.8-sec

Here's the report from BTWholesale:

Untitled.jpg

Thanks.

John.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Forgot to say that the old hub was a Home Hub 5, not a Home Hub 4.

John.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

You are connected at 70.8Mb. How are you testing your speeds, wired or wireless?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Hi

Speed test is on the main desktop PC wired (via TPLink powerline adaptors) and WIFI (2.4GHz only), both giving around 20Mbps tonight. Checking speed on www.fast.com.   Interestingly a couple of laptops we have when connected to the 5GHz wifi band are getting 50Mbps. When I switch them back to 2.4GHz they drop to 20Mbps. So why is the desktop so much slower? When I was using the old HH5 I was getting 50Mbps from it.

John

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Try connecting pc to router without powerline adapter and run speed test again as there are post previously where using powerline adapter especially tplink as had adverse affect on connection/ download speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Interesting development.

Wired connection from router giving me the old speeds 60Mbps. Back to powerline adaptor and it is 21Mbps. So, is there anyway to get high speed through the powerline adaptors and why could I get the higher speed with the same powerline adaptors and the older HH5 before switching to the Smart Hub? 

John.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Did you remember to turn off smart setup in new hub

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub--how-can-i-turn-it-on-and-off-

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

I turned it off after I'd  connected all the devices to the router. So it's off now. 

John

0 Ratings