cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 17

Broadband Speed drops each Saturday when 4k TV is on

For a number of weeks now every Saturday afternoon when the Premier League games are shown my broadband speed drops significantly and the game won't show on the Ultra HD channel. 

I have run a BT speed test each week and it tells me that the speed is below my guaranteed minimum and it will be investigated but then a few days later always says they couldn't monitor my speed so my guarantee was void. 

Today the BT speed test doesn't even start telling me to try again in 15 minutes. 

Will the guaranteed speed ever be restored and maintained at all times or do I have the right to leave? 

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17

Re: Broadband Speed drops each Saturday when 4k TV is on

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

the handback speed is connection speed to hub not download speed - there is no ISP guarantees download speed   are you connecting wireless or ethernet?

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 17

Hi,

Results below. The TV is connected by Ethernet. 

Product code:Smart Hub 2

Serial number:+091298+1924019161

Firmware version:v0.21.03.07094-BT

Firmware updated:Sun Sep 27 20:16:00 2020

Board version:R01

GUI version:1.56 15_02_2019

DSL uptime:5 days,11 Hours54 Mins23 Secs

Data rate:10.253 Mbps / 36.895 Mbps

Maximum data rate:10.291 Mbps / 36.865 Mbps

Noise margin:6.1 / 6.1

Line attenuation:5.8 / 19.6

Signal attenuation:5.8 / 23.0

VLAN id:101

Upstream error control:Off

Downstream error control:Off

Data sent / received:3.7 GB Uploaded / 33.6 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:Activated

2.4 GHz wireless network name:BT-HSA8PG

2.4 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel11)

5 GHz wireless network name:BT-HSA8PG

5 GHz wireless channel:Smart (Channel36)

Wireless security:WPA2

Wireless mode:Mode 1

Firewall:On

MAC address:04:A2:22:3E:9F:FC

Software variant:-

Boot loader:0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean) 

VDSL Range B (Impacted) 

48.33512.37.232.4AvailableAvailable--
47.433.8126.429.5AvailableAvailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33030--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+ADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 3.5--2 to 6AvailableAvailable--
Up to 2.5--1.5 to 5AvailableAvailable--
1----AvailableAvailable--
1----Available----
Observed Speeds VDSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2020-10-13
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
N
N
N
07-10-2020
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 17

stats look ok with connection speed of 36mb right a bottom of expected speed range and has been stable for 5 days.  are you using the master socket at present?  have you tried using test socket with a filter to see if that improves your connection speed?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 17

What is your gauranteed minimum speed? the recommended minimum for 4K TV is 44Mb/s.

https://www.bt.com/help/bt-sport/poor-picture-quality-on-the-bt-sport-ultimate-channel

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 17

I think I am on 27Mbs

It is absolutely fine all week apart from when Live Premier League games are being shown - usually on Saturday afternoons.

I assume there is a larger demand at that time and perhaps average speeds are dropping across the local supply? But that doesn't help me watch the football in 4K!

Using a speed tracker app the average is usually around 30Mbs but every Saturday it literally halves or less as you can see below. 

Screenshot_20201017_170049_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg

Screenshot_20201017_170038_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 17

Are you conducting the speed tests over Wi-Fi? if so the results will almost certainly be false. Run the tests again with an ethernet connection or better still from the hub (on SH2, http://192.168.1.254/basic_-_broadband_performance_test.htm then click on "Test My Speed")

Message 8 of 17

Similar test results were coming from the BT App too but they don't get recorded. 

The "test my speed" option isn't working on that link (as it wasn't through the BT App either) and I'll have to wait until next Saturday again now for the next game to see if it drops again - assuming the option to "test my speed" through BT is working again by then. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 17

This is the message I get when attempting a BT Speed test from the My BY App:

• Screenshot_20201018_123408_com.bt.btserviceapp.jpg
  •  
  • From the link advised to use above - it asks for my login details but then can't move forward (the link below it also asks for my login details and does connect).

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 17

I've seen that message before, in my case, usually when I'm streaming a BT TV channel and I've got fibre 100 so I should have bandwidth to spare

0 Ratings