cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Broadband Speed

I have just upgraded to Halo 1 and whilst the BT Speed Checker reports 152Mb upload and 31Mb download speeds, if I use another checker (i.e. Which or Uswitch) I only get 40Mb upload and 18mb download. Which is correct and why the difference?

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Broadband Speed

Do you mean 152 download & 31 upload erc as download should be higher than upload?

In any case the BT checker tests to the hub (which they are responsible for) & 3rd party checkers can be lower if you're testing via wi-fi as they test to the device itself & external factors can affect the wi-fi speed. Always test with an ethernet cable connected id you can

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Thanks garybs29,  

You are quite correct, I have confused the up and down in the loading speeds!  A am using via wi-fi so this would explain and will check via ethernet cable when possible.

Message 4 of 5

Further to my original repsonse, I thought I would move the laptop next to the router to check the speed and with the OFCOM speed checker it still returned 50mb instead of the 150mb from BT, is the wi-fi likely to lose that much over a minimal distance?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Wifi does affect the speed but if you are next to the router and your router is working correctly you should get a very similar speed to the wired connection.
0 Ratings