cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MarkW92
Message 1 of 26

Broadband Sudden Dip In Performance

To give some context, I've been using BT for a few months with no issues - I live stream gaming content from my PS4 to an online website with 0 issues (via ethernet) even when other people in the house are streaming content via the BT app.

As of Monday, I am now unable to stream without suffering severe latency problems (or lag as it's better known). I havent changed anything in the house which would have caused it. Been on the phone to BT twice running through every possible scenario and nothing has solved this. They have said there is nothing wrong when there clearly is. It is almost as if something is taking all my bandwidth even when I turn everything off. Speed tests show I am getting the correct broadband speed, but it appears it's decided it can no longer cater for everything that I've been using before.

Please help.

25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Broadband Sudden Dip In Performance

Welcome to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
MarkW92
Message 3 of 26

Thanks for responding.

I would say there is very faint static

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 26

@MarkW92 wrote:

Thanks for responding.

I would say there is very faint static

You should not be able to hear anything with is audible, so there may be errors on your line, which is causing the problem. Errors wiil cause a delayed response.

Its important to make sure that the noise is still there, when you are connected to the test socket, like this.  This is to prove that the fault is external to your property.

infinity_test.jpg

MarkW92
Message 5 of 26

I have tested as mentioned above using a corded telephone and would still say there is very faint static in the background. What does this mean?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

There is possibly a line fault which would not normally be detected by a standard line test.

Just before going any further, have you tried a factory reset of the home hub, as the performance can deteriorate after a while, so its worth trying.

Try a factory reset of the home hub.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

Then turn Smart Setup off.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

MarkW92
Message 7 of 26

Yeah, I have completed both of those steps and the issue still persists

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 26

@MarkW92 wrote:

Yeah, I have completed both of those steps and the issue still persists

All I can do is to ask one of the moderators to look at the broadband performance statistics, to see if there are excessive errors, as its unlikely you would be able to report a noisy line, as its not very loud. If they see a lot of errors, then they may be able to ask Openreach to look at your line.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 26

Report a line noise fault on 151.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
MarkW92
Message 10 of 26

I phoned 151 and the helpful lady did a SNR reset. This has not fixed anything either. 

0 Ratings