cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 13

Broadband Unresponsive And Speed Erratic

Hi, I’ve been a customer for well over a year now. I was originally getting 80/20 when I first joined. The broadband was really responsive as well. Then, a few months ago, I upgraded to gfast. I was getting about 120/30, but the speed was very erratic and the broadband was very unresponsive. Also, I would get disconnections and then it would resync under 80mb. I downgraded back to 80/20, and also went back to the original smart hub from the smart hub 2.

Since downgrading, just like with gfast, my speeds are very erratic. I sync at 80/20, but don’t always get close to this on a speed test. Usually when I download something, it will be slow for a bit, then speed up. YouTube is very frustrating, it always buffers for roughly the first 30 seconds of a video, then works just fine. Also, because the broadband is still very unresponsive, gaming isn’t amazing, and I tend to lag quite a lot. By the way, my Xbox is connect via Ethernet and speed tests and downloads are done on my laptop via Ethernet. Also, general web browsing can sometimes be quite slow. It might take 10 seconds, sometimes longer, to load a webpage. But once it starts loading, it loads it instantly.

I thought it might have just fixed itself on it’s own, but it’s been over 3 months since I downgraded back to FTTC. I previously had an MK3 prefiltered master socket, now I have the gfast master socket 5c, which I was told was needed for gfast, and would be fine to downgrade back to FTTC. I have just plugged a microfilter into the test socket, and I am still having the same issues. What can I do to get this fixed? I would really appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

BT Smart Hub Manager
Back

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ71530223

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E020

Firmware updated:

26-Mar-2020

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 27 Minutes 13 Seconds

Data rate:

20.00 Mbps / 80.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

30499 / 87183

Noise margin:

15.3 dB / 7.2 dB

Line attenuation:

16.7 dB

Signal attenuation:

12.4 dB / 16.7 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

343 MB Uploaded / 261 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-ZQZR

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-ZQZR

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

F4:6B:EF:28:4F:E5

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Broadband Unresponsive And Speed Erratic

Hi @Anonymous  welcome to the forum and sorry you are experiencing a problem with your broadband connection. 

The service uptime was only 27mins had you reset or disconnected the Hub?

cheers

John

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 3 of 13

Hi, that was when I connected the router to the test socket. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Is your connection still stable since you connected to the test socket?

can you post current hub stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Take a look to see if ipv6 is enabled on the router..had similar issues recently..devices using both ipv4 &ipv6, suspect it was causing issue as disabled ipv6 allocation and all ok again
0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 13

As far as I know, you can't disable IPv6 on the smart hub, but I did change the IPv6 address allocation mode from "stateless" to "off".

Router Stats:

BT Smart Hub Manager
Back

This is a list of your BT Smart Hub settings and current statistics.

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084316+NQ71530223

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E020

Firmware updated:

26-Mar-2020

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

1 Days, 19 Hours 32 Minutes 48 Seconds

Data rate:

20.00 Mbps / 80.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

30499 / 87364

Noise margin:

15.3 dB / 7.2 dB

Line attenuation:

16.7 dB

Signal attenuation:

12.5 dB / 16.7 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

26 GB Uploaded / 16 GB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-ZQZR

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-ZQZR

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

F4:6B:EF:28:4F:E5

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

so looks like the move to test socket is helping stability with almost 2 days uptime.  if so then need to look at master faceplate and any internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

yes, that's the setting to disable ipv6 allocation- interested to know if it fixes your issues..

stateless- device assigns its own ipv6 address ..hopefully unique!

stateful- dhcp (v6) assigned- currently not supported/enabled by BT on my router

off- no v6 address allocation (disabled)- I needed to restart hub to clear any existing v6 device assignments 

-there was a FW update recently that got applied to my hub6, so not sure if the default settings were changed relating to ipv6 which resulted in my problems..

BTW- not advocating using ipv4 over ipv6 as really everyone should be using ipv6 where possible..trouble is, some legacy devices don't support ipv6 so believe only way is to assign static ips /disable dhcp (v4) for those that don't if enabling ipv6 for the ones that do--suspect a device that is using both ipv4 & v6 is going to cause problems somewhere, some how..maybe someone smarter than me knows how to configure things to support both concurrently but my experience has never been good if doing so

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 13

Hi, my broadband doesn’t usually disconnect anyway, it was because I started using the test socket. Usually just get 1-3 disconnects a week at most. I’m not great with electronics, what do you mean exactly by look at the master socket and wiring? Do you think the master socket 5c could be the problem? If I recall correctly, I didn’t have this problem when I had the older mk3 master socket. Thanks.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Some people have had problems with the new style master socket mainly because the faceplate was not clipped in place securely. Previous faceplate had screws holding them in place

0 Ratings