cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Broadband and landline over fibre optic cable ?

Go to solution

I am just about to have FTTP from telegraph pole to my house. (Halo 3)  I have an existing landline on overhead copper wire line.

I was under the impression the copper line would be removed and my broadband and also my phone line would run through the new fibre optic cable?  Is this not possible as I don't  want any more overhead cable  running overhead my garden due trees etc ( I already have the neighbours cables ) It wasn't the impression I got when I ordered it as my other option was Virgin which uses underground fibre from my front gate including phone line

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband and landline over fibre optic cable ?

Go to solution

Even if your phone and broadband are supplied by fibre, Openreach don't currently remove the redundant copper cable unfortunately. Are you definitely getting Digital Voice, you might still be getting telephony via the copper cable, Digital Voice is not yet universal.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks, no digital voice yet so stuck with two overhead cables 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

AFAIK, if your current service is delivered by an overhead dropwire and you are getting ‘overhead’ FTTP, they may use a shotgun cable where is  a copper pair and fibre  in the one cable , if you are keeping telephony over the copper pair they in effect transfer the copper pair service into the new shotgun cable , and the old copper pair dropwire can be taken down so you still only have the one ‘new’ dropwire , containing  both the copper and fibre services

Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Excellent, I'll ask the guy if its possible 😉

Thanks for info

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

It is one cable . The fibre and copper are bound together. Well that is what happened with my install.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
thanks very much
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

@iniltous @spile  The "Shotgun" cable has been discontinued, only areas that still have stocks are using it up. Even where still used the existing copper line is left intact.

Moves are afoot for existing copper lines to be removed in the furture once PSTN has been retired.

0 Ratings