cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Broadband availability

This may be a regular and plaintive cry on this board, however am hoping I can get some guidance as to my options and likelihood of improvement.

I am just about to move into one of two new build properties built on the outskirts of Cheltenham.  The house at the end of my garden has a 600Mb virginmedia service, however the cables clearly dont extend round the corner to my house as 'there is no service' in my street. 

A cable has been laid up to the wall of the house and the developer was led to believe by openreach that a 60-80Mb service would be available....however when I contact BT (and Sky) they say I can only receive  c.1Mbps.... on the edge of a large town!!

Can this be right?!?  

If anyone has access to more detailed technical info re the exchange etc, am happy to share my postcode

Many thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband availability

If you enter your address (not just postcode) into the checker and post the results we can see what is available to you. Edit out your address but leave all other details before posting screenshot. https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the swift response - hope this makes sense to you!

Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability DateHigh Low High Low      VDSL Range A (Clean) MrSheen_0-1616792662971.gif
VDSL Range B (Impacted) MrSheen_1-1616792662972.gif
8068.9201962.4Waiting listWaiting list
8067.3201960Waiting listWaiting list
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33030--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) Availability DateWBC ADSL 2+ADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 2.5--1.5 to 4Available
Up to 1--1 to 3.5Available
1----Available
1----Available
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y

The premise/line is associated with exchange which is NOT part of current fibre priority programme.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where WLR is not withdrawn.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where SOADSL service is restricted.

FTTP is not available.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

The cab's full that's why you cant get FTTC. You'll have to keep ckecking and hope Openreach will be installing more line cards or someone drops their service.

Message 5 of 7

I feared this was the case. so a few follow-up questions:

1.  FTTP on demand shows as available - is this a product I can buy and if so, why is it not available via the various service provider postcode checkers

2. Upgrades vs new orders - when it comes to me securing a 60-80Mb service, is there any advantage to me having the basic 1Mbps service already installed?

2. When it talks about Waiting Lists - do the different providers each have an allocation within the cabinet or is it a free-for-all, so when a line comes free, it can be sold by any provider?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

1   FTTPoD is a business product and your installation cost could be in 1000s in addition to the very expensive annual cost

2  having an actual broadband connection will assist if FTTC becomes available

3  there is no actual waiting list you can join and it is a first come when a slot becomes available not ISP specific

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 7 of 7

FTTPoD is an extremely expensive product aimed at businesses. You need to be thinking in terms of tens of thousands of pounds construction costs.

Having a service already doesn't confer any advantages.

Waiting list is a misnomer, there is no list, it is a question of regularly checking the checker and ordering as soon as availability is shown

0 Ratings