Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Broadband boost

Hello

I recontracted my infinity 1 broadband in December last year and was informed by email that the speeds would be between 57 and 79 Mbps down and 18.7 to 20Mbps up with a guaranteed download speed of 49Mbps.  This never happened automatically as promised so I rang the contact number in the email on 13 February and after several line tests I was told to wait for 15 minutes then factory reset the rounter (HH6).  As it was late evening I left the reset until the following morning and happily the speeds had improved to about 63Mbps down and 20 Mbps up. THe router stats showed the maximum data rate at around 78Mbps

The following Sunday 18 Feb I came home and the router was stuck on flashing orange for about 30 minutes. I did a reboot and it did eventually restart however the speeds had dropped to what they were prior to the boost and have remained around 43/44 and 15 since then. I rang the number from my email again on Sunday 18 Feb and after more tests was informed there was a fault and it would require an engineer visit and the follow up email from BT said the fault should be fixed by 6pm Wednesday 21 February. I then received a text message from BT on Monday 19 Feb to ring BT faults as they needed to carry out more tests, the outcome of these was that I needed a broadband boost engineer which was booked for Friday 23 February. He came this morning and fitted a new filtered mark 4 master socket then rang BT to check the line. Their test said the line was running at marginally below 49Mbps and there was nothing further they could do. The engineer said the speed may increase but could not say by how much or when.

Can anyone please clarify whether I should still be receiving the original speed boost from the following information.

Thank you for any assistance.

David

BT wholesale test shows best effort of 45.53 in a range of 40 - 46.67 down and 15.18 up

Router stats are as follows:

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B522

Firmware updated:

18-Jan-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 4 Hours 47 Minutes 28 Seconds

Data rate:

18.36 Mbps / 48.21 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

18464 / 56846

Noise margin:

6.1 dB / 6.1 dB

Line attenuation:

15.9 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

115 MB Uploaded / 551 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-W38F

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 11)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-W38F-5

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

88:A6:C6:24:4D:D7

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

Results from dsl checker for cabinet 6 in Peterlee (my line is Market B Exchange)

High

Low

High

Low

VDSL Range A (Clean)

Available

--

--

VDSL Range B (Impacted)

Available

--

--

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Broadband boost

from your stats you have had the speed boost as can be seen from the up speed and up speed profile of 20mb  as you have already had a boost engineer trying to improved your conenction there is not much more can be done  openreach have started to implement G.INP of ECI cabs so when and if that happens tou your cab and conenction that may give you a bit more speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Hi and thanks for your quick response.

I just find it strange that the data rate went up to 78 and the line was running at a speed in the low 60's for almost 4 days till the router rebooted itself. Now it is back to where it was before the boost was applied. I'm not sure what dark arts the call handler performed when he did whatever he did on Tuesday 13th Feb but I'll see if any improvement comes about in the next few days then call them again. 

Best regards

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

i can't see what improvement you will get if you already have had a boost engineer and your phone line is quiet if you try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Thank you for your reply, but as my line can obviously run at a higher speed according to the dsl checker, and it did so for a few days then maybe it has been capped for some reason, I don't know ?? Equally BT have a special offer on my My BT page for Infinty 2 with speeds up 76Mbps which if what you've told me is correct I would never achieve although I'd be paying more for it.

All the boost engineer did was fit a new master socket then ring BT to test the line which all took less than 10 minutes. I'll try another phone call in a few days.

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

just because the dslchecket shows you can get speeds up to 76mb does not mean you can actually achieve these speeds and this is confirmed by your router stats when your attainable is nowhere near that speed  as I said you may find you get a bit more speed when G.INP is activated on your cab/line

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

I fully appreciate that speeds may not reach those listed by the dsl checker, however as per my first post I was getting download speeds of 60 to 64 Mbps (verified by the BTW performance test) after my first conversation with customer services on 13 February and a factory reset the following morning albeit that these speeds disappeared after a router drop out and reset the following Sunday 18 Feb.

I'll leave it there.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 9

Hi @DavidC11,

If you like, I can take a look at your connection and run a few checks on your line. You can send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Hi PaddyB

I've completed a contact form for this post.

Thank you for your help with this matter.

Best regards

David

0 Ratings