cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Broadband connection keeps dropping; Openreach engineer keeps breaking promises

Summary: Slow speeds and constantly dropping connection.

Fibre to the cabinet.

Reported: 20 Jan 2021

3 or 4 Openreach visits.

No problem inside the house.

New modem - no improvement.

Connection from box to house has been lifted and shifted - no improvement.

Each jump from house to box has been changed to use a different fibre cable - no improvement.

'Senior' Openreach engineer assigned; visited once, said nothing he could do that hasn't been done. Gave me his direct mobile to let him know when connection dropped again etc. 

Texted Openreach engineer to let him know of new drops / slow speeds on: 11/02/21. Promised to send someone same day - no one shows.

Texted Openreach engineer to let him know of new drops / slow speeds on: 14/02/21. Promised to call me back on next day - no call back.

Called Openreach engineer on 18/02/21 to ask if any progress, got told to try using cabled connection to Smart Hub instead of Wifi. (no real idea why....)

Texted Openreach engineer to let him know cabled connected was also slow and dropping: 18/02/21. Promised to  visit same day - no one shows.

Texted Openreach engineer to let him know of new drops / slow speeds on: 24/02/21. Promised to visit next day - no one shows.

There we have it; Lee from OpenReach has broken more promises than your average politician.

I'm still with a connection that fluctuates between  20-40ish mbps download and 4-16mbps upload; my minimum guaranteed speed is 48mbps download.

Of more importance is the constant connection dropping - sometimes once an hour, sometimes 10 times an hour; daytime, nighttime, early hours of the morning, no obvious pattern.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Broadband connection keeps dropping; Openreach engineer keeps breaking promises

Any noise on your line? 17070 option 2, best with corded phone. You may get a dull hum with cordless.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Broadband connection keeps dropping; Openreach engineer keeps breaking promises

We don't have a house phone so can't check the line.

Remote tests by BT and onsite by OpenReach haven't said any issue with noise.

0 Ratings