cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RichardB42
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Broadband connection keeps dropping!

Intersting. I have what appears to be a very similar issue.

My problems started on the mornign of 08/12/17 when my net connection just dropped. It reconnected in around 90 seconds. Thinking it was "one of those things" I paid little attention. Another disconnet/reconnect that afternoon, was followed by one the next morning. Chacking the hub logs I found 3 futher disconnest between 03:00 and 04:30 that day.

I called BT to report his intermittant issue. Over the next week I spoke to a number of people who basically did a few "tests" and cleared down. Then told me to wait 48 hours. Eventually I got sick of this and spoke to a manager who went through it all again from scratch. A replacemnt hub was suggested which duely arrived 3 days later.

The new hub made no difference. But on calling BT support again - the call was closed when they sent the new hub. Very unprofessional in my opinion to close a call with no idea it was fixed.

Another round of tests and cleardowns with no fix. An egineer was booked for 04/01/18 with a call bak the following day to check where we were. Around 40 drops in the 6 days waiting for the engineer!

The engineer came. Ran line tests & broadband tests. No fault was found. He replaced the master socket as mine was an "older version". Still the drops continue at totally random times.

The prmoised call was not received yesterday, so I called support again. The first support agent wanted to "start again" as they had again closed my fault. I aksed to speak to a senior agent. Again I had to go through it all again from the start. A call back an hour later told me they could send an engineer out again but had no real hope they would find a problem. Then started to say as I check work emails and acccess a work system from home that I was a business user and I would get no more help than an egineer and then they would cease helping.

Another request to speak to someone senior was granted and now I am being told they need to book an "SFI" engineer but the system will not let them despite they can see I have had 4 connnection drops since 02:00 this monring. Now waiting for another call back.

One suggesteion was to cease my service. Disconnet my broadand and phone for 10-14 days and then request a reconnection - this might get me on a different circuit which might cure the intermittant fault. Totally infurating. 

There is no joined up approach to fault finding just a flow chart system which loops back to the start when they get stuck. 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
StuartH
Message 2 of 10

Re: Broadband connection keeps dropping!

Hi @RichardB42

Created a new thread for your particular issue.

Sorry for the issues you've had with the connection dropping.  With the fault being intermittent do you notice any circumstances like the weather when the line is dropping?

Can you run a quiet line test for me around the time you notice a drop? You can do this by dialling dial 17070 and selecting option 2

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
RichardB42
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the reply.

The problem has been occurring at totally random times since 08-DEC.

I have isolated the devices on the network. Even going down to one PC on a short-wired connection - with no wifi devices and it will still fall over randomly. Even at 3am when nothing is on except the hub itself.

It is very weird. No amount of traffic, devices connected, weather or time of day appear to make any difference. I have tried to overload the hub by downloading on 3 PCs, 2 Sky HD boxes, and using phone and ipad. It will just fall over randomly with no patterns I can see.

Have ran a quiet line test right after a drop and can hear nothing. The engineer who visited on Thursday did this too and it was just as I had heard previously.

Have had a call back from BT support since my first post. An SFI engineer is booked for Monday am. I asked what was the next step if/when no fault was found and have been told there is nothing more they will be able to do. Not overly impressed, so if there is anything you can adivse it would be very much appreciated.

0 Ratings
StuartH
Message 4 of 10

Hi @RichardB42

Can I ask when the connection is dropping what is happening with the hub lights and for how long would you say the drops are lasting?

You mentioned in your post that you were passed to someone senior with the appointment for Monday morning. So I think a complaint and a case handler should be working on this for you.

Post back to me on Monday after the visit and if getting nowehere I can have it looked into it for you further.

Thanks

Stuart

0 Ratings
RichardB42
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Thanks again Stuart.

The hub lights, go steady orange, then flashing orange, then back to blue all within 45-90 seconds on virtually all occasions (twice in the month I have had to power off to do anything).

Strangely, the hub will not accept a connection into the admin (192.168.1.254) from a hard wired pc for 5-10 minutes after a drop. Not sure this is relevent.

I think I have a case handler. The manager I spoke with who arranged the appoinment gave me a name of one of his team, who I have to call after the engineer has been on Monday. Will post back with an update once I have made this call. 

Thanks,

Richard.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

@RichardB42 wrote:

Thanks again Stuart.

Strangely, the hub will not accept a connection into the admin (192.168.1.254) from a hard wired pc for 5-10 minutes after a drop. Not sure this is relevent.

That sounds more like the hub is rebooting rather than the line dropping.

RichardB42
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

@licquorice wrote:

@RichardB42 wrote:

Thanks again Stuart.

That sounds more like the hub is rebooting rather than the line dropping.

That was my first thought, but the internet connection comes back up straight away. The hub will aloow no admin access for some time afterwards. Also, been an issue/observation on 2x HH6 and I see nothing in the log which gives any clues.

Funnily enough as I was writing this reply I had a drop. Internet down for 43 seconds. Hub allowed me into admin after 5 minutes 18 seconds. All active wifi connected devices rconnected in this period - just wondering if the the hub is "busy" intially?

0 Ratings
RichardB42
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

@StuartH as promised, today's update:

Engineer called just after 8:00am. Had been given virtually zero details about the problem in fact he was told to "fix a broken connection" as a boost engineer - not investigate an intermittant issue as an SFI engineer.

A 15 minute call overcame the lack of information passed to OpenReach by BT and investigations began.

Close to 3 hours of checks and testing in my huse, at the pole, at the box and at the exchange - result everything is OK. NFF. Even though they can see 20 losses of power on my circuit in the last 48 hours. Having checked my end the engineer is convinced the problem lies on the BT frame in the exchange. He spoke to BT and they will not accept this - in fact they have apparently closed my fault.

My case handler - who I have never actually managed to speak to - is as usual unavailable with "I am out of the office until December 17th" voice message. As I have yet to have a call back from him, I out of sheer frustraion telephoned senior contact in BT who is as I wrtite this trying to get the correct section to pick up the problem on my behalf rather than continue banging my head against the desk talking to the front line support (who I think are not fit for purpose) and starting again for the umpteenth time.

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 9 of 10

Hi @RichardB42,

I am sorry to hear about the problems you have trying to get this sorted. I hope your contact is able to get this picked up and dealt with for you. If you need our help getting all investigated, please let me know.

Thanks

DanielS

0 Ratings
RichardB42
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

By way of an update. 

The problem is still under investigation by the Data Insights and Investigations team. They have "applied an increase to the retransmission support your line is receiving" as the latest step in the process. If anything this has made it worse.

Drops are totally intermittant. None on Sunday, 4 Monday, 17 so far today. The HH6 continues to be a source of annoyance for myself as it constantly fails to respond and today even managed to block admin access saying the password was wrong when it was not.

Annoyance levels majorly high but I know it is going to be a tough call to find the source of the problem. 

0 Ratings