cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jt20
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 38

Broadband disconnecting when phone rings , also can be unstable.

Go to solution

Hi

Sorry for a long winded post , wanted to be as detailed as possible.

I had aol/talktalk broadband for around 10 years and never had any problems. Recently switched to infinity about 2 weeks ago and for the first six days the service was perfect.

Recently however whenever the phone is used to make calls or the phone rings , the broadband disconnects. The hub lights turn orange and flash orange. Immediately after the phone is put down or the call is ended broadband reconnects and turns back blue.

What is strange about this problem is that its not all the time , only on occasion. It does seem to be worst in the afternoons or evenings. You may have a day where the broadband is perfect and doesn't disconnect. Then the next day it will drop when the phone rings or is used usually only at certain times of day . It can also be unstable disconnecting at random times without having used the phone. Its mainly when the phone is used however.

Things I have tried so far that did not work include.

- Switching between the two filters supplied by bt and connecting 2 filters at once.

-Tried connecting broadband/phone directly to the test socket.

- Tried a wired/corded phone instead of my wireless phones. Also tried switching off wireless on home hub to see if that helped.

- Did a quiet line test , there seems to be a slight crackle/noise although hard to hear. It does go away when the broadband cable is disconnected. It seems to be coming from the router trying to connect.

Is there any other tests I need to carry out ? Whats the mostly likely cause of the problem ? who do I need to contact ?

Bit concerned with contacting bt because I dont want a big bill for an engineer visit , I am also considering if I should switch providers before my contract starts.

0 Ratings
37 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 38

Re: Broadband disconnecting when phone rings , also can be unstable.

Go to solution

if you have used the test socket with a new filter and different phones and you are still getting the same problem then sounds like a high resistance fault  you need to phone 151 and report the fault withoiut any mention of broadband if possible as this is a phone fault  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/connectionprobs.htm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jt20
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 38

Go to solution

Many thanks for the reply , it is much appreciated.

Do you think it will definitly be a line fault ? the noise usually disapears when the broadband cable is unplugged.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 38

Go to solution

you can try with a double filter  2 filter connection.jpg

how close is the hub power supply to the master socket?  I recently had a problem with rein from the power supply of my hh5 and once replaced everything was ok  it was not causing the problem you describe though just line noise

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
jt20
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 38

Go to solution

The home hub is quite close to the master socket , I will try moving it will need to get a longer broadband cable though. Tried the double filter on the test socket didnt work.

0 Ratings
karanved
Contributor
Message 6 of 38

Go to solution

Hi,

If problem still persists on test socket itself, like your Broadband drops off even after trying multiple filters and testing it in test socket for 1-2 days, and still issue is ongoing, as said by distinguished sage, can be a line fault.

You can try this website to see it there is any fault on the line, it runs a line test on your Telephone line :-

https://www.bt.com/consumerFaultTracking/public/faults/tracking.do?pageId=2&s_cid=con_FURL_faults&ut...

Also make sure that DSL cable is connected on the DSL port of your HH and not on red WAN or yellow Ethernet or any other port at the back of your HH.

Hope this helps!!...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 38

Go to solution

I still think it is a HR fault and needs an engineer visit  probably a bad connection from your home to the cab

0 Ratings
jt20
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 38

Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestions and all your help. Will give the fault line a ring tomorrow.

0 Ratings
jt20
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 38

Go to solution

So its been a nightmare if I am honest.

Had too have a lot phone calls with BT customer service. Had to schedule ring backs and sometimes they wouldn't even call back. Been messed around a lot.

Had 5 engineers so far , one added a new filtered faceplate to the box and made some changes at the exchange.

The 2nd engineer did some tests but couldn't find anything wrong with the line or the equipment. Its impossible to show the fault to an engineer if he arrives at the time when the broadband is working fine.

the 3rd engineer didn't turn up , despite me being in all day. Apparently they had a lack of engineers , it would have been nice if they had let me know though

This time they said they found a fault with a copper joint when doing tests on the line, so they arranged the fourth engineer.   The engineer said the problem wasn't a copper joint but with the green box and we would need another engineer with different training.

the 5th engineer didn't check the green box but checked the line which came back ok and reset the speeds which the made the connection a lot more unstable. Also suggested to get an SFI to look at the line.

The problem still isn't fixed and keeps re occurring.. I find that I am having to disconnect the phone if I want to use the broadband without the risk of disconnect. Even a telemarketer can disconnect the router with a phone call. It also can be really unstable disconnecting randomly throughout the day. The speeds then start to drop after all the disconnects , which results in poor download/upload speed. The connection does tend to get more stable when the speeds have dropped enough.

The noise margin on the help desk can also be very low , sometimes around 0.5 - 1 usually right before a disconnect.

I would like to request an sfi to look at the line , will they charge even if they cant find a fault or if its found to be a problem outside the property?

I don't want a big bill from an sfi visit and also don't want to keep paying for service I am not getting either.

Really gutted that I left talk talk now.

I would appreciate any help or advice you could give me.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 38

Go to solution

see if mods can help where the engineers have failed  mods will post a contact us link 

contact mods.jpg

After completing the email NOT PM then you join a queue of other customers waiting for mod help. The mods will get back to you in 3/5 working days either by phone or email

0 Ratings