cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Broadband disconnections and the usual terrible customer service

Would be grateful for any advice before I terminate my contract with this godawful shower.

Have had to contact BT at least 8 times in the last month as my broadband keeps disconnecting. This is a major issue as due to Covid I'm working from home and as it's an inbound call centre job I basically cannot do my job properly and have to travel to the office to work.

The first engineer who came to my property basically did no more than change the filters. The problem continued.

The second engineer came 4 days later (tut tutted about the first engineer), these two did actual do something more. Basically a bit of rewiring and drilled a hole in the wall to install a small junction box outside. Connection was ok for a while but then the problem returned.

Phoned the helpline and was told that they could see an issue and it was with the copper wiring. Couldn't actually tell me where the wiring was but arranged another Engineer call out for the 04.05.21 for between 8-1

Come 04.05, wait around for 5 hours. No Engineer turns up, no courtesy call from BT or the Engineer. Phone the helpline again, get an apology and another Engineer call out booked for today 06.05

Come 06.05, again wait around for 5 hours (8-1). No Engineer turns up and as per usual no call from BT or the Engineer. Connection seems ok for a couple of hours but it's back to disconnecting again so I have no idea if the problem has been fixed or if they've even done anything.

As BT's customer service is so dreadful I'm having to post this here. Any advice, other than go with someone better (ie Sky or Virgin)

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Broadband disconnections and the usual terrible customer service

If it is a line problem going to SKY is not going to help as they use the same openreach line whereas Virgin are a totally separate connection

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ71518366

Firmware version:

SG4B1000E020

Firmware updated:

20-Dec-2020

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

0 Days, 0 Hours 36 Minutes 1 Seconds

Data rate:

4.85 Mbps / 13.49 Mbps

Maximum data rate:

4926 / 13389

Noise margin:

6.4 dB / 5.8 dB

Line attenuation:

44.8 dB

Signal attenuation:

30 dB / 44.8 dB

VPI / VCI:

0/38

Modulation:

G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:

Fast Path

Data sent / received:

11 MB Uploaded / 60 MB Downloaded

Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

BT Wi-fi:

Active

2.4 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-MTM9

2.4 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 1)

5 GHz wireless network name:

BTHub6-MTM9__5GHz

5 GHz wireless channel:

Smart (Channel 36)

Wireless security:

WPA2 (Recommended)

Wireless mode:

Mode 1

Firewall:

On

MAC address:

F4:6B:EF:1B:9A:BB

Software variant:

-

Boot loader:

VDSL Range A (Clean) 

VDSL Range B (Impacted) 

50.1359.56.730AvailableAvailable--
4932.49.46.326.1AvailableAvailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33030--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+ADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 2--1.5 to 4AvailableAvailableYes
Up to 1.5--1 to 3.5AvailableAvailable--
1----AvailableAvailableYes
1----Available----
Observed Speeds VDSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2021-05-04
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
N
N
N
30-04-2021
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y

The premise/line is associated with exchange which is NOT part of current fibre priority programme.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where WLR is not withdrawn.

The premise/line is associated with exchange where SOADSL service is restricted.

FTTP is not available.

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Actual speeds experienced by end users and quoted by CPs will be lower due to a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 3 Jun 2014. The Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30 Jun 2014.

If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Thank you for your interest

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Your connection and even your attainable speed are way below the estimated range from the dslchecker but they were ok 2 days ago

Have you tried quiet line test?

Have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps improve speed and also stability

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

I can't do a quite line test as I don't have a handset.

I'll try it with a filter in the test socket.

Is there any point in raising a complaint as the customer service from BT is beyond a joke.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

So the problem persists. OK connection for 2/3 hours but then multiple disconnections every hour.

Zero communication via email / text from BT so I have no idea what the issue is.

Does anyone have the contact's for BT complaints before I terminate my contract ? **bleep**ing useless company.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

It may simply be a problem with your phone line but unless you can check with a phone you cannot tell bearing in mind this is the most common cause of poor speed and disconnections

You can phone CS  150 or 0800800150 from mobile and report a fault and get engineer visit

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 15

Have just spoken to a handler in the Cardiff call centre who was really helpful.

Another Engineer visit booked for tomorrow 😐 between 8 - 1. Accepted that there is a fault.

They've accepted that this is poor service and offered compensation again ( already had 1 bill voided due to the first post).

I work in customer service and really feel sorry for their tech support as it's corporate **bleep** higher up the food chain who've left this company in the state is currently in.

TBH I just reckon the infrastructure just simply can't cope with thousands of users working from home due to Covid. Not sure if this is due to cost cutting and / or poor management.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

If it was the infastructure not coping why has it not happened before? TBH I suspect an issue with the line, possibly noisy which is causing the issue

Message 10 of 15

It is definately not infrastructure there's more than enough capacity to meet the demands. I suspect there is one leg of the line disconnected somewhere looking at the hub stats and the DSL checker results.

A handset would confirm the problem and is the best diagnostic tool you can have for around £5.

0 Ratings