Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mjconnolly
Contributor
Message 11 of 58

Re: Broadband disconnects every couple of days

Go to solution

Hi, just been for a look. I can’t see any box like that. The wire from the pole effectivley just goes straight through the wall into the master socket. We don’t have any other sockets.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 58

Go to solution

@Mjconnolly wrote:

Hi, just been for a look. I can’t see any box like that. The wire from the pole effectivley just goes straight through the wall into the master socket. We don’t have any other sockets.

The dropwire is an external cable, and would have to be joined to an internal cable somewhere. The dropwire will be fixed to the eaves somewhere. Does the cable run down the outside of the house?

0 Ratings
Mjconnolly
Contributor
Message 13 of 58

Go to solution

Yes it’s fixed to the eaves, and then runs down the outside wall, and goes straight through to where the master socket is located on the inside. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 58

Go to solution

@Mjconnolly wrote:

Yes it’s fixed to the eaves, and then runs down the outside wall, and goes straight through to where the master socket is located on the inside. 

Then there is probably a crimped joint where the dropwire joins the cable down the wall.

Does the cable down the wall appear to be in good condition?

Here are some points of possible failure, if you are happy the master socket is in good condition.

Possible bad joint at end of dropwire.

Bad connection or corrosion in the DP at the top of the pole - most likely.

Bad connection in the cabinet where the fibre tie cable connects to your line.

Really the only way to determine this, would be with a full quality check. How many fault reports have you raised?

0 Ratings
Mjconnolly
Contributor
Message 15 of 58

Go to solution

This fault has been ongoing for a couple of weeks; the call centre in India do a test when it’s working and say “it’s fixed now” and then I have to tell them that it’s not the next day. NB there is a fault in the overhead cable a couple of spans down the road. The wire has been “mended” where it rubbed against a tree branch by having a plastic bag wrapped round it. Openreach diagnosed this as the cause of my landline dropping back in November and swapped me onto a spare pair, which has sorted the landline out and the broadband is at least better now than it was prior to that (it was dropping several times a day). However the fault has not been fixed yet. Is this the most likely cause assuming the socket and other wiring is ok? It was only installed in October.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 58

Go to solution

Probably needs a much closer check, especially as you are getting periods of no service at all.

I have asked a moderator to provide assistance, they will post an invite on this thread.
They are the only BT employees on this forum, and are based in the UK.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 17 of 58

Go to solution

Hi @Mjconnolly I have just PMd you with some information on how to get in touch with us - please reply back and we'll get this investigated. Thanks @Keith_Beddoe for flagging.

0 Ratings
Mjconnolly
Contributor
Message 18 of 58

Go to solution

Hub flashing purple again this morning. I may have to extend my backup Vodafone 4g dongle contract at this rate!

@StephanieG Would it help if I posted anything from the event log?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 19 of 58

Go to solution

Not really necessary to post event log details. Stephanie (or the mod who picks up your case) will be able to access any relevant info remotely if necessary.

One will be in touch in the next couple of days once you reach  the top of the queue.

0 Ratings
Mjconnolly
Contributor
Message 20 of 58

Go to solution

Ta. John has contacted me. As has happened before with several other tests, he ran a test while the hub was flashing purple, and that kicked it into connecting somehow. It had been off for about 3 hours at that point. He’s going to test it again later today. I would place money on it being fine now until Friday morning!

@pippincpwrote:

Not really necessary to post event log details. Stephanie (or the mod who picks up your case) will be able to access any relevant info remotely if necessary.

One will be in touch in the next couple of days once you reach  the top of the queue.

0 Ratings