Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sage
Sage
Message 21 of 58

Re: Broadband disconnects every couple of days

Go to solution

Don't worry @JohnC2 (I'm assuming its him) will keep in touch until your problem is resolved. Your case will remain open until you agree to close it.

0 Ratings
Message 22 of 58

Go to solution

Hi @Mjconnolly  I've just checked the connection again and it is working ok at present. As discussed I will as @pippincp said keep the case open and if the connection drops again we will have to arrange an appointment.  Keep the thread updated if there is any change. 

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Mjconnolly
Contributor
Message 23 of 58

Go to solution
Hi all, the connection had been stable for 9 days but this morning I have the flashing purple lights of death again. I will see if I can get a line test to run as that often kicks it into life. Apart from that does anyone have suggestions? @JohnC2 tagging you as you were looking at this for me. Thanks
0 Ratings
Mjconnolly
Contributor
Message 24 of 58

Go to solution

As I suspected, I went on the web page to report a broadband fault, it started checking the connection, and as it did that I got orange then blue lights. Surely this is not a line fault if testing the line fixes the dropped connection every time? Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 58

Go to solution

If you have a high resistance fault on the line, then the line tester will quite often clear the fault, due to the test voltages and temporary line voltage reversal.

Finding where the fault is, usually involves re-terminating all the connection from the fibre cabinet output, to your master socket.

If the fault was on the exchange to cabinet side, it would not affect your broadband.

The fact that the fault was there when you had ADSL, also points to the fault most likely being either on the DP at the top of the pole, or the section from the DP to your master socket, because the cabinet connection would have been re-terminated when you moved over to fibre.

0 Ratings
Mjconnolly
Contributor
Message 26 of 58

Go to solution

Thanks for the info Keith. What’s a DP by the way? All the engineers talk about them but nobody says what they are...!

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 27 of 58

Go to solution

Distribution Point.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 58

Go to solution

@Mjconnolly wrote:

Thanks for the info Keith. What’s a DP by the way? All the engineers talk about them but nobody says what they are...!

DP=Distribution Point.

In your case, a box at the top of the pole, with lots of connections inside, which can suffer from corrosion.

In apartment blocks or businesses, the DP is sometimes inside, in a cupboard of basement. Sometimes you will see them halfway up the side of a building, usually on older buildings.

Mjconnolly
Contributor
Message 29 of 58

Go to solution

Ta. Looks like we will need an engineer (again) to investigate this. Presume @JohnC2 will see this on Monday. 

0 Ratings
Message 30 of 58

Go to solution

Hi @Mjconnolly I called earlier sorry I could not reach you and to hear your connection has dropped again and stayed down for a long period. I am in the office to noon today can you post back and let me know if you can take a call before noon and I will chat to you then.

Cheers
John

Community ModeratorJohnC
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings