Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
empress48
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Broadband disconnects when picking up the phone

We had this issue a few months back, that each time we used the phone or answered the phone it would disconnect the broadband. The phoneline was very noisy. Really bad crackling noises up to the point it was hard to understand the person on the other line.

The engineer took quite some time to figure out what the problem was because in the beginning the phone line tests weren't showing anything. Not one little crackle.

Then after several different tests the line finally started crackling.

He then replaced the socket (it's one of those with the ADSL filter integrated) and connect the phone line to different wires.

It was perfect all Winter, not one crackle, until yesterday. We're back to square one. Again when we use the phone it means goodbye broadband. It is really annoying.

i have to add we live in a tower block. If it was our property I would have replaced the phone wires ages ago.

My question is could an additional ADSL filter stop the broadband from cutting out? Or do I have to call out an engineer again?

PS: We have ordered a new phone (not just because of this) to rule out any issues with the phone.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband disconnects when picking up the phone

to eliminate anything in your home causing a problem (apart from phone itself) is it possible to connect to the test socket with a filter and see if crackle goes away and if broadband still drops when making/receiving a call  test socket is shown by the black arrow

test-socket-thumb.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
yan101
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

I hav the same fault. 3rd engineer is coming tuesday
0 Ratings
empress48
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Thanks, I will try this once the new phone has arrived.

0 Ratings
empress48
Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Good luck, yan101!

Yesterday, no problems. Today it started all over again.

I am starting to suspect the weather.

0 Ratings
yan101
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

3rd engineer was about as useful as the other 2. I still have the fault
0 Ratings
empress48
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Oh no!

I have the terrible feeling it will be exactly the same here.

For ours place I am suspecting it is the old in house wiring. If it was my house I wouldn't think twice to replace it. But firstly it's a flat and secondly it belongs to a housing trust.

The new house phone does exactly the same btw.

I'll try and figure out how to solve it without the help of engineer.

0 Ratings