cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3

Broadband dropping and audible "dial up tone" interference on quiet line test

I've recently been having a nightmare with my broadband (VDSL) where it has a strong connection (50 down, 15 up) for the first few minutes of connecting the Hub, then proceeds to randomly disconnect and reconnect alternating between excellent speeds/ poor speeds/ total disconnection.

The normal routine is: broadband fine > broadband disconnects or upload speed drops to nothing > broadband reconnects to full health > rinse and repeat.

I've tried everything including disconnecting extensions, running the Hub from the master socket test socket only, changing filters, switching off and removing any potential sources of interference near the master socket, metering my own internal wiring - and everything reports fine, Qube have verified the internal wiring and set-up is fine, Openreach have been out and changed pairs up to the cabinet which seemed to fix the issue for a few hours, however the problem still persists.

Interestingly (and out of sheer despair perhaps) I sat on the quiet line test for quite a while whilst monitoring the broadband connection and found that the broadband connection coincides with what sounds like a rustling/ packet of crisps being opened, followed by a quiet but discernible dial up/ digital tone on the line. I've disconnected my Hub from the BT socket and this problem still intermittently persists, suggesting that the BT line into my property is catching interference from somewhere upstream (i.e. it's not a dodgy filter leaking my Hub's connection)?

Has anyone ever experienced this before, or is anyone able to shed some light on this?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Re: Broadband dropping and audible "dial up tone" interference on quiet line test

@aheatonwrote:

I've recently been having a nightmare with my broadband (VDSL) where it has a strong connection (50 down, 15 up) for the first few minutes of connecting the Hub, then proceeds to randomly disconnect and reconnect alternating between excellent speeds/ poor speeds/ total disconnection.

If you mean that you are powering off/on the hub on a regular basis then don't!

See

https://community.bt.com/t5/ADSL-Copper-broadband/Faulty-internet-after-BT-Open-Reach-Again/m-p/2173... 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 3

Re: Broadband dropping and audible "dial up tone" interference on quiet line test

Not a regular basis, the Hub is on pretty much 24/7 apart from the occasional re-boot for updates etc. and the uptime is often several weeks (and was several weeks when the problem with the line started).

I just found this issue (the Hub being fine for a few minutes before starting to drop out) when rebooting the Hub during fault finding, it's also the case when disconnecting and subsequently reconnecting the VDSL cable (for example, to force 4G Assure back-up on recommendation from BT Customer Service).

0 Ratings