Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Broadband dropping connection

Hi

For several week my broadband drops connection and immediately comes back after a minute or two. It means I lose all connectivity which is very irritating when on work calls.

We have a copper wire connection and the phone works ok.  The speed is fine most of the time but about ten times a day the connection drops and router light goes orange and then back to blue.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Broadband dropping connection

@M_Bartlett 

Does it drop when you talking on the phone, and do you hear any noise on the phone when this happens, perhaps a short crackling noise?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

No. Rarely use the landline but did call the quiet line number to test. It wasn't obviously crackly.

I have checked the line is operational.

The other issue is on my pixel Android phone I constantly have to sign in every couple of hours... Despite saved by the credentials. I have never had that before.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that stabilises your connection by eliminating the master faceplate and your internal wiring as causing problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 13

Thanks. No I will try. I have a socket with two outputs one small and one large. The small is going to the router and large to the phone.

I think you mean unscrewing the face place to find the master socket and adding a filter. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

@M_Bartlett 

What does your master phone socket look like its likely to be one in the bottom row.

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpeg

Keith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

test-socket-thumb.jpg

The test socket is shown by black arrow. After removing front you also need to slip the middle section of which reveals test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 8 of 13

Yes looks like socket 6. I have removed it all and added a filter to the test socket. I will leave it through 24 hrs and see if it happens.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

So having done this for half a day it is still dropping out. I will leave a while to fully assess but twice in 3hrs so far today. But it doesn't seem like the route cause.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 13

Update. Yesterday broadband dropped out the same about 7 times in total. No not fixed by isolating the test line.

Also it still kicks my phone out and forces it to login all the time.

Can anyone offer a new suggestion.

I can't seem to get anywhere contacting BT right now and perhaps will just add a complaint instead. I have tried pretty much everything I can read in terms of self help.

I have never had this before with any other service provider. But perhaps it is the new property we moved into in october... Or the related infrastructure.

0 Ratings