cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rob1991
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Broadband dropping out - PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

I have started to get on Friday evening (17th) what appears to be a very popular issue with drop outs at random with Broadband dropping out - "PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]" showing in the logs. I have the HH4 with Infinity2 BB. The lights on the hub will flash orange and disconnect me, and after a while return to blue once reconnected. This seems to be a problem across all the equipment HH4-5-6. A friend has also been getting the same issues on a HH5 but he noticed his start shortly after a recent firmware update. My HH4 is still showing to be running a version from 30/10/16.

I have been on a live chat and was first told there was a fault in the area and engineers were working on it, only later to be told there was no engineering work or fault in the area. I was later on told I would need to replace the hub, but reading other threads I cant see this helping. The HH4 was working perfectly until friday evening. Tests were also run on the line which he said was fine.

Using the BT status fault checker there are also no faults in the area, and I have done the 17070 quiet line test which sounded fine to me, no crackling or unusual noise.

Any help solving this issue?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
anon_4_5
Beginner
Message 2 of 18

Re: Broadband dropping out - PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

Same symptoms here, WAN log shows connection dropping several times a day [1]. Ongoing since Aug-22. I have two different explanations from BT (one via chat, the other by phone call back after registering a complaint).

Explanation No. 1: issue is a problem with the Home Hub 5 - there's a replacement on its way.

Explanation No. 2: issue is a problem with congestion on the network, support have initiated a 'session reset on the RAS server' which takes 72hours and then requires a Home Hub hard reset [2].

Will let you know if either resolve.

[1] BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 | Last updated 08/07/17

[2] I was told I have to be very careful when I do this to make sure every device on my network is turned off. Apparently the HH5 divides the total WAN bandwidth by the number of connected devices and allocates that as a maximum to each device. What this has to do with the hard reset and the necessity to gradually reconnect devices after doing one is something I was able to ascertain.

0 Ratings
jsac
Message 3 of 18

i just posted my own thread and realised im affected the same as you guys with the same PPP LCP Send Termination Request [User request]

whats the next course of action i should take now, can this forum help or do i need to start making phone calls - which i really dont want to do

0 Ratings
Rob1991
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 18

jsac, For now im waiting to see if a forum Mod can take a look or suggest anything. My live support convo didnt really go anywhere, and I myself would rather not have to phone up. My friend that I mentioned in my top post got no where with support and is trying out a 3rd party router/modem which I have seen a lot of other people doing with good results to fix this same issue. (This isnt me telling you to do the same, get a response to your own post and do the nessesary contacting stuff first)

It does seem to point at a homehub fault since I was told my line was ok, and quiet line test was good but getting a replacement HH I cannot see helping. The fault looks to be across the board with all models of home hub going through the many similar threads on this forum.

0 Ratings
anon_4_5
Beginner
Message 5 of 18

Update:

* The network session reset followed by a hard home hub reset didn't resolve the problem. >10 disconnects in the 2 hours after performing the home hub reset which was several days after the required 72hr wait for the network session reset to complete.

* Replacing the Home Hub (HH5 type A) with a new Home Hub (HH5 type B) and we're >24hrs without any disconnects.

0 Ratings
Rob1991
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 18

After going by what I was told on live support that I need to replace my HH4 for a superhub, I knew I didnt want a replacement HH4/5/superhub because of the PPP LCP issues happening on all of them. I decided to get my own router and I am currently using my ECI modem with my DSL-AC68U set up with ethernet wan on lan port 4.

As some may know the DSL-AC68U has a questionable built in modem which I used for a few days but seemed to be getting a lot of CRC errors (some others had reported this happening too). I also had a connection drop showing in logs very early one morning (which is when I noticed the first dlm change fastpath to interleaved) which is why for now I am using the setup mentioned above. Using the built in modem on the asus I had dsl stats to look at and saw it put my line on interleaved, however speeds only reduced to around 62/18. Sadly back using ECI modem with either HH4/asus as router only I have no stats to go by.

With all the switching on and off/rebooting of equipment I have fairly large drops in speed going from 73/18 to around 48/18. Since it has been running with ECI Modem > Asus router I did have one connection drop yesterday afternoon, after which my speeds dropped even further.

Could this d/c be cause by further dlm and new ip profile being applied caused by equipment being turned on and off. I have been 2 days with this set up now. Should I let it stabilse for a week and see if there are improvements or does it sound like a line fault.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 18

Leave it to settle. If DLM sees your line as now stable it should relent.

Did you update the Asus firmware when you first connected it up? The latest (version 3.0.0.4.380_7712) includes a driver update for the modem.

Link

0 Ratings
Rob1991
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Yeah that was one of the first things I did when I plugged it in. I am using 3.0.0.4.380_7712.

I guess for now I shall just have to leave it and just keep an eye on logs for any more wan drop outs.

Thinking about it the wan drop outs I had when using the HH4 never appeared to caused any dlm speed drops, its just the drop outs were much more frequent using the HH4.

Would having a dlm change on the line cause a drop in connection, or is it something done automatically after a drop out/a number of drop outs have occured?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 9 of 18

Repeated drop out are one of the parameters DLM measures and takes action on.

0 Ratings
Rob1991
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 18

In a few hours I will be coming up to 5 days stable connection with my ECI modem and DSL-AC68U in router only mode. No signs yet of speeds returning. Found an image I took a while before any issues started happening of a BTwholesale speed test showing my IP profile being 77.44 Mbps of which I was getting speed tests of around 73 down, 18 up, which I was happy with.

Since the drop outs caused by the HH4, and the turning on and off / configuring of the new equipment I have got an ip profile of 51.79 Mbps. I now get speed tests of around 49 down, 18 up. (thoughout all this my upload speeds have remained around 18up).

What is a reasonable time to wait for speeds to return? I have a good feeling the HH4 was at fault as im sure the past 5 days would have been hell with drop outs if I was using it.

0 Ratings