Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Midniter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Broadband dropping out every 10-20mins

Hi all,

I have had fibre in for 1month. However today, I have had the internet drop out.

Also the speed has dropped from 40-50mbs to 6-12mbs when it comes back on.

I normally run different devices off the broadband, such as iphone, iPad & Xbox.

Can anyone help or suggest a solution.

When the internet drops out I still have the blue light on my router.

Thanks
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Broadband dropping out every 10-20mins

if blue light are all devices conencted by wireless and it is just the wireless signal that drops and not internet conenction?

have you turned off smart setup?

have you split the 2.4/5ghz networks in hub 6 -  go to wireless and select separate and then select a channel manually rather than auto

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Midniter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 6

No the devices lose connection to the home hub.

Even though the hub when I check has a bluelight?.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

if the hub wireless connection drops then devices will drop connection to hub but with blue light the hub is conencted to the internet.  so you are not dropping internet conenction but dropping wireless hence suggestion to split networks and change channels

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Rottie
Expert
Message 5 of 6

@Midniter- Further to @imjolly's excellent advice, I notice that you mention you use iOS devices on your network. What I would suggest is downloading an app such as istumbler (not sure whether iOS supports this, but OSX does, if you have a Mac desktop/laptop) or if you use Windows machines, then something similar to InSSIDer and doing what's known as a "site survey", where you can "scan" the wifi spectrum and ascertain how many other routers are using the same "channels" as you are and if necessary, change to a less congested channel.

You'd be surprised at just how many people keep their routers set to the "default" channel 11, which as more and more routers connect via it, becomes increasingly congested and sometimes affects the users throughput and/or connectivity.

The two apps I mentioned above should be available from the relevant App stores, but if you cannot find them there, then you should be able to find them (and possibly others) via a google search.

I hope this info helps. Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Midniter
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Ok thanks for the advice, I will give this a go!
0 Ratings