Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JaneL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Broadband dropping out intermittently

Go to solution

Home Hub 5, type A.  Intermittently but frequently dropping out whether or not my wireless laptop is turned on. Occasionally YouView cannot connect.

Light turns orange, red light flashes, then blue light comes back on for about 30 seconds then problem repeats.  BT Desktop Help unable to solve. Checked and reconnected all connections. Solved for some time but reoccurs.

Being intermittent the problem did not occur while last engineer was here - he changed all connections on my premises and checked the BT box down the road. Problem recently got worse.  BT diagnostics indicate internal problem and 2nd engineer coming tomorrow.  I will be charged if he cannot identify BT equipment is the problem.........

One forum member suggested getting a Type B hub from BT but neither the support nor engineers are aware of a Type B.

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Broadband dropping out intermittently

Go to solution

you cannot order a type b and if you get a replacement for a faulty hub it is pot luck which hub you get.  the hubs are the same apart from different chipsets

many find eithe buying a 3rd party modem/router or getting an openreach modem hg612 helped solve the problem

just need so see if engineer tomorrow can help

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
skiffguard
Beginner
Message 3 of 26

Go to solution

I had the very same problem and suffered it for months, the same as you many visits from an enginer and calls to bt all came to nothing, the problem persisted.No one could help!

I actually almost gave up and then i thought i would check the logs in the bt home hub settings and low and behold the home hub was rebooting itself after a set certain time everyday , i can't recall the exact time length it was, but it was like clockwork every x mins the home hub would reboot.

The logs gave the game away, the homehub was trying to update its firmware and the reboot was part of that process.

I never really found out why the firmware update always failed but changing to a Netgear hub stoped the bt software trying to install a  firmware update  and the reboot to finish the install  and the problem was solved.

So basically the problem is a firmware upgarde  sent down your line to your homebub  failing and consistantly rebooting your homehub.

reagrds  Martin

0 Ratings
skiffguard
Beginner
Message 4 of 26

Go to solution

This is the old thread i started on the outage issue,  the actual time was every 29 mins btw.  https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/HH3-disconecting-every-29-mins-firmware-reb...

Server URL: https://pbthdm.bt.motive.com; Connecting as user: ACS username sends a firmware version check down my line every 29 mins and then for some reason sends a request to reboot the hh3, almost as if it's installed a new firmware, causing me to lose my connection until the hh3 restarts?

(Booting firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.57.1.3 (Type A))

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
JaneL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 26

Go to solution

The engineer attended last week and merely tested my bb reception which was good at the time. 

Below is post from Community Manager, StephanieG, dated 23.2.15.  It is a different Firmware fix to that in the previous post by skiffguard. Can someone look at my hub/firmware please, or direct me to the correct technical bod.

Re: BT Home Hub 5A - dropping connection update

Hi Guys,

We can confirm that our technical team have rolled out a fix to all affected Home Hub 5As, so your service should be back to normal. The fix is a configuration change to the current firmware 4.7.5.1.83.8.204. We apologise for this issue and thank you for your patience.

If you are continuing to experience any issues with your broadband connection, it will be due to a problem with your own connection. Please could you start your own thread about the issue, so that the community and the mod team can look at your problem individually.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 26

Go to solution

this is a customer help customer forum and ypur post does not go to BT

if you enter 192.168.1.254 into your address bar then enter admin password then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk you can see your current firmware  the current firmware for hh5a ends 222.1.1 and is currently being rolled out.  it is automaic and you just have to leave the hub conencted - you cannot manually update the firmware

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
JaneL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 26

Go to solution

Many thanks.  My version ends 204.1.11.  Will I be notified when the update has reached my hub?  If not and it doesn't improve, can I check roll out status?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 26

Go to solution

no

as I said it is automatic.  just leave you hub connected and it will just happen and will cause the hub to reset - there is no schedule which you can view

JaneL
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 26

Go to solution

This was resolved for about 5 days.  It has started again and for more frequent and prolonged sessions (12 noonish seems to be a particular problem).       Did the roll out happen.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 26

Go to solution

you would need to check your hub stats to see if the firmware has been updated

0 Ratings