cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ben46
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Broadband dropping ut

I have recently been persuaded by BT to upgrade at some cost to Broadband plus to stop my broadband from dropping out.  I have reset the router so many times it no longer recognises my verification code and tells me to try again

Things for going well until last night when the broadband disappeared twice in the space of any hour.  When it came back I tried to check thru the app but got told the connection was too weak.  I telephoned the help line and waited 20 minutes for a reply.  (Good job it is a free phone number)  The guy was very helpful but still no idea why the line keeps going dead.  He said he was going to clean the line and hopefully this would help.

Now I am not sure if I want to pay for the upgrade if it is not going to work 

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Broadband dropping ut

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that improves conenction and stability

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

post router stats  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information   if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk

enter your phone number and post results  https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

when you drop connection does the light on hub stay blue?

you need to stop rebooting the router as that will make matters worse not better

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 15

Upgrading to plus will not solve your problem. Cancel the upgrade and save money.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

Hi @Ben46,

Have you had a chance to try the steps suggested by @imjolly? It does sound like it could be a fault on the line or potentially a faulty router.

Thanks

PaddyB

Community ModeratorPaddyB
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
Ben46
Beginner
Message 5 of 15

I would love to try the steps if I could keep my broadband for more than a few hours.  This morning I spoke to people in Dublin, South Shields and Liverpool before `I got back on line.  Twenty minutes later it had gone again.

Watch this space I am obviously paying for nothjing.

0 Ratings
Ben46
Beginner
Message 6 of 15

Couple of quick points - yes the router staysd blue and I have stopped trying to reboot because it no longer recognises the factory setting pass code and just leave me in limbo 

0 Ratings
Ben46
Beginner
Message 7 of 15

I have told them this morning that I no longer want the upgrade but because of I am on day 14 and you only have 14 days to cencel I am not convinced I will get my cancellation

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

if the lights on hub stayed blue that suggest the internet conenction was ok so are you connecting with wifi rather than ethernet?
are you able to post any of the other information I asked for as that will help the forum and mods help you

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Ben46
Beginner
Message 9 of 15

I have never used ethernet ever since I had the system installed.  I cannot run the cables across the hall or up the stairs.

The light sometimes goes green and orange which usually means more trouble.

I am not very technically minded I just like things to work when I switch them on and have the necessary connections to let my husband watch his football and me to chat to our family.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 15

So it is possible that it is actually the wifi connection that is dropping most of the time and not the hub dropping internet connection

really need more information about your connection to enable forum members to help you. If you get engineer callout and problem is actually on your side of the test socket then you will be charged £85

0 Ratings