cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beazer
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Broadband drops out randomly

My Infinity 1 broadband keeps dropping out randomly , it has been happening for at least 6 months.

When the connection is lost, the lights on the Hub 4 go orange for a couple of seconds, then it re connects.

Bt customer help has been useless - I rang in June and they sent a new hub (replacing a Hub3 with a 4) but it hasn't fixed the problem.

I rang again a week ago, went through exactly the same conversation with another person in India, and all they could do was send out yet another hub! This will NOT solve anything!!

I have just about had enough, trying to get technical help from BT seems impossible.

Anybody got any suggestions?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband drops out randomly

was this self install?

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone

are you using wired or wireless

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beazer
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thanks for your speedy response.

An engineer originally installed the Infinity connection.

We have no wired connections to the hub, only wireless.

I just tried the quiet line test, but I'm not sure what it was supposed to show!? There was no obvious interference.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

doing quiet line test will show if there is noise on your line which is causing problems for your broadband  quiet line test should be as it sugegsts quiet with no noise - cordless sometimes get dull hum which is normal

are the lights on the openreach modem showing it is conencted?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beazer
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Ok, quiet line test was quiet.

All lights are normal on both hub and open reach modem, but this is an intermittent problem and it is working fine at the moment.

When the broadband connection goes the hub lights change, but I haven't noticed what happens to the open reach modem.

Since the connection only drops for a few seconds it can be hard to see, unless you happen to be standing right beside it at that exact moment

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

the reason for asking about the modem as against the hub is to check whether it is hub that is dropping conenction to your devices or whether the modem is dropping conenction to the internet hence the hub drops connection.  if modem maintains conenction then it is a hub problem

0 Ratings
Beazer
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I will try to see what happens to the modem next time it happens - would you expect both DSL and Lan 1 lights to go out ?

I was assuming that because the hub light went orange, it was a problem with the line connection, but perhaps that's not the case?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Make a direct connection from your PC to the modem which will eliminate the Homehub. Follow this guide to do that. Use your computer as normal to see if it disconnects. If it disconnects it is either a faulty modem or a line fault.  If it does not disconnect you will know it is a faulty hub or a fault with your internal wiring.

Step 1: Remove the homehub from the modem

Step2: Connect your pc/laptop into the modem using LAN1 port

Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network

Step4: Connect to the internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE

Step5: Username bthomehub@btbroadband.com and the password as BT

Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.

0 Ratings