cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dropout
Message 1 of 5

Broadband drops out

We have been having regular problems with our broadband dropping out seemingly when it rains. Numerous calls have resulted in the usual routine line tests and rebooting the hub 6 but still the problem persisted. Eventually a BT engineer visited and split the copper pair incoming cable at the line box by connecting a dedicated line to a 5c box which in turn connects to the hub. However, the problem still persists when it rains. Following a downpour today the broadband dropped out and I reported the fault and was informed that I need ADSL filters on the phone line, why? I thought these things went out with the arc and the engineer didn’t mention this when he was on site. Why don’t BT accept that there must be a fault in the copper and change the cable? The frustrations of being a loyal BT customer are becoming very trying!

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Dropout
Message 2 of 5

Broadband drops out

We have been having ongoing problems with our broadband dropping out when it rains. Numerous calls to the fault line have resulted in the usual line tests and rebooting of the hub 6 with little success. Eventually an engineer came out and split the incoming copper pair at the line box between phone and broadband installing a 5c box on a dedicated line with a cable to the hub 6. 

Today the broadband dropped out coinciding with a heavy shower so I called BT and we went through the old routine on line checks and rebooting of the hub. In addition I was informed that ADSL filters should be fitted to the phone sockets, why is this and why was it not mentioned by the engineer? 

Do I need these devices fitted and what guarantee do I have that they will cure what seems to be an issue with moisture entering somewhere in the installation as suggested by the engineer?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

Re: Broadband drops out

Did you report a line fault or broadband fault? It is obviously a line fault and has nothing to do with your broadband, it just affects it.

As it's intermittant you need to report a line fault next time it happens.

0 Ratings
Dropout
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for your advice, I will follow your suggestion next time. I did report it as a broadband fault but the BT call centre staff said that they ran a diagnostic check on the line and found no fault.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

With that sort of intermittent fault it is difficult getting an engineer visit when the fault is actually present and you just need to keep reporting a phone fault. An engineer will eventually find the problem and fix it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings