Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 29

Re: Broadband failed after thunderstorm

Go to solution

It sounds like the home hub has been damaged by the storm, do you have a spare home hub or another VDSL router?

0 Ratings
Lisah31
Beginner
Message 12 of 29

Go to solution
No I don't. Thanks for your help though, Keith.
I will just have to wait for the engineer on Wednesday, and hope it doesn't cost me
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 29

Go to solution

@Lisah31 wrote:
No I don't. Thanks for your help though, Keith.
I will just have to wait for the engineer on Wednesday, and hope it doesn't cost me

As you are still in a contract, the home hub will be replaced for free, but there is no guarantee they will have one with them, so you may have to wait for one to be sent by the helpdesk. If there is a lot of storm damage, then there may be a high demand for replacements.

If you cannot wait that long, or would like to keep a spare VDSL router, you can get a basic third party router for £35 or less.

If you are opted into BT Wifi, you can always see if there is a nearby wireless hotspot you can use.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Lisah31
Beginner
Message 14 of 29

Go to solution
Yes I am still in contract so that's good news about the free router.
If it's definitely the router, it may well be worth me getting a spare so I'll go price one up. Thanks again, Keith
0 Ratings
rowelly
Beginner
Message 15 of 29

Go to solution

Exactly same problem as you, sorry to hijack the thread but thought I'd simply add my details on here seeing as it's an identical problem!

Broadband down since the early hours Saturday, phone line is fine. I have a home hub 3 which I've tried, but no luck with that either. Being half term and having the kids home for a week, the fact an engineer can't come until Friday is pretty annoying to say the least...!

Home Hub 5 shows blue light momentarily (about 15 seconds) then changes to an orange bar, flashing, and stays like that. Socket is MK3, sockets on top of each other; not side by side. Any help would be hugely appreciated if I could get it sorted. Thanks

0 Ratings
Lisah31
Beginner
Message 16 of 29

Go to solution
I'm thinking if its likely the hub, maybe buying a cheap one to make do until the engineer visits might be a way forward for me, especially with the kids off.

Any recommendations on a router? I'm not hugely tech savvy. Thanks
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 29

Go to solution
follow the advice already given sound like your hub is faulty
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 29

Go to solution
get a hub 5 from a well known auction site
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 29

Go to solution

Just get a cheap TP Link TD-W9970, about £30 from Amazon

0 Ratings
rowelly
Beginner
Message 20 of 29

Go to solution
A different router hasn't worked for me unfortunately, tried the home hub 3 (that I've had in a sideboard for a year - i.e. DEFINITELY not storm damaged) and no luck. Hope a new router works for you Lisa!

I've taken the faceplate off the MK3 and tried the test socket and still, no luck. Any suggestions?
0 Ratings