Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 29

Re: Broadband failed after thunderstorm

Go to solution

The home hub3 is an ADSL modem/router and won't work with Infinity (VDSL) without a separate Openreach modem.

0 Ratings
rowelly
Beginner
Message 22 of 29

Go to solution
Pity BT didn't tell me that on the phone when they suggested I try it(!)

Many thanks.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 29

Go to solution
The help line would no have known you did not have an Openreach modem
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 29

Go to solution

@Lisah31 wrote:
Yes I am still in contract so that's good news about the free router.
If it's definitely the router, it may well be worth me getting a spare so I'll go price one up. Thanks again, Keith

@Lisah31

See post by @licquorice here https://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity-Speed-Connection/Broadband-failed-after-thunderstorm/m-p/174...

The cheap TP-Link one can normally be obtained locally from places like Argos and may be a much quicker option to get online again and prove the fault.

0 Ratings
Message 25 of 29

Go to solution
'As you are still in a contract, the home hub will be replaced for free, but there is no guarantee they will have one with them, so you may have to wait for one to be sent by the helpdesk. If there is a lot of storm damage, then there may be a high demand for replacements.'

An Openreach Engineer will only replace a faulty Hub on a Broadband Boost Order. That's because BT pay them £230 upfront to do additional work beyond Openreaches responsibility.

They won't replace them on an FTTC1 Fault, Superfast Visit Assure or an SFI2 Task.

If only the Router part of your HH6 is fsulty and the ECI Modem inside is still in Sync with the DSLAM I can virtually guarantee the Engineer will be sent on a Superfast Visit Assure. Which basically means he'll prove the Openreach side of things are working fine and refer you back to your CP for a replacement Router.

Even on a Boost they can't replace a HH6 like for like as BT won't supply Openreach with them. What's happens is the Engineer replaces it with a HH5 then BT post you a 6 and ask you to return the 5.

Cracking idea for a Company that says it's working to reduce its carbon footprint.!
Lisah31
Beginner
Message 26 of 29

Go to solution
I'm now back online having purchased a TP-Link TD-W9970 from Argos for £30. Thanks for your help, guys
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 29

Go to solution

@Lisah31 wrote:
I'm now back online having purchased a TP-Link TD-W9970 from Argos for £30. Thanks for your help, guys

@Lisah31

Excellent Smiley Happy

You may find it works better than the home hub, at least it has proper external wireless aerials.

0 Ratings
brammern
Message 28 of 29

Go to solution

I've got exactly the same issue.  BT engineer came this morning and found no issues inside or into the house so assumes it must be the router so no have to wait for a new one which hopefully will solve the issue, 5 days and counting without internet with teenagers over half term and exam season.  Not great.  Also fed up of emails from BT saying the issue is resolved when we still have no internet.  

0 Ratings
Lisah31
Beginner
Message 29 of 29

Go to solution
My replacement router was promised within 5 days but it didn't turn up and they had to raise another order so I think it ended up being closer to 3 weeks. I was glad I'd gone and bought one to tide me over
0 Ratings