cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Broadband guaranteed speed issues - why does all the other houses around me get more

Hi, need some advice if there is anyone I can contact. .. I am in the process a buying a house and looking at all the available options for internet through all the providers. Seems really strange that the maximum guaranteed speed I can’t get is 15 mbps while all the other houses around me ( including my next door neighbour which is semi detached ) gets 30 mbps as the guarantee . My other neighbour house gets a guarantee of 35.

is there anyone I can call to get the line upgraded ( not §worried if I have to pay something ) just don’t want to sign. Up to a provider for two years until I get some clarity 

any help or advice would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Re: Broadband guaranteed speed issues - why does all the other houses around me get more

All the figures you receive are estimates, the speed you actually get is whatever your line is capable of, there is no means of 'upgrading' it. The estimates will vary due to the availability of historic data regarding each individual line.

What speed does the current owner actually get?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Re: Broadband guaranteed speed issues - why does all the other houses around me get more

try enter address of new home and post results  remember delete address

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 12

The way the network is setup means speeds can be different for each lines as you may be connected to another exchange. I’d do broadband checker for your post code.

if you liked my response please hit the thumbs up. 

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

@Broadband-wizardThe post code checker is the least acccurate of the three.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 12

Hi All

I managed to speak with the current owner, he is offered a Fibre Guarentee of 38 with Vodaphone at the moment.

The only checker i have open to me is the post code checker which jsut gives the maximum of 18mpbs. ( tried to call Vodaphone but they just tell me to call openreach and openreach just tell me to contact the provider. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 12

The address checker is available here.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL 

The link @imjolly has already given you.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 12

Thanks I will see if i can get the current owner to check it with the phone number

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

You just need to ask the current owner what ACTUAL speed he gets not an estimate from any checker.

Whatever speed he gets, you will get regardless of provider. Speed is governed by the laws of physics, mainly determined by the distance you are from the cabinet.

PS You don't need the owner to check, anybody can enter a phone number in the checker. However, if it isn't a BT number the checker won't recognise it anyway.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 12

i just realised i can search with the address. the current owner gets 38 average and has no issues with it. Vodphone cant understand why i am only being offered the 15 minimum here is the details of both houses, second house is the neighbours and they are offered 46 as a minimum on the vodaphone website.

Stevenp77_0-1635864801557.png

Stevenp77_1-1635864851380.png

0 Ratings