cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Broadband has started dropping when phone used

Go to solution

I have a phone directly wired to the line and also an ADSL socket for phone and broadband. It worked for years but recently whenever we use the directly wire phone the Broadband disconnects. Can anyone help?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Broadband has started dropping when phone used

Go to solution

have you tried connecting to test socket with a filter and see if it still happens  this will eliminate a possible faulty faceplate

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
I have tested it with another phone and filter.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
Work has been going on renewing overhead wires in next street and installing 6G. Could this affect my landline?
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

I can still use a phone from the main socket. My wife uses the directly wired connection which is when the broadband drops. She unplugs it after use to get the broadband back. I suspect there could be interference. Broadband is now running at 72 mhps.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

@David27 wrote:

I can still use a phone from the main socket. My wife uses the directly wired connection which is when the broadband drops. She unplugs it after use to get the broadband back. I suspect there could be interference. Broadband is now running at 72 mhps.

She needs to make sure there is a microfilter in the lead to the phone.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/why-do-i-need-adsl-filters--microfilters--and-where-do-they-go-

You have a VDSL connection not an ADSL connection, if you get 72Mbs. You still need the extra microfilter.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

If you have used test socket with a filter and broadband still drops then need to report phone fault

test socket is shown by black arrow having removed middle section shown by yellow arrow

test-socket-thumb.jpg

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks Distinguised Sage. I have looked at this before. The landline feed is taken off before the master socket. It takes control of the line and will not release it until it is unpluged. It seemed to work at 32mbps but interfers at 72mbps. The master socket works well on broadband and less well on the phone attached to the master socket. I can make calls and use broadband so long as the landline is disconnected.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

That extension feed is wired up incorrectly, it must come from the extension terminals of the master socket. You have "star" wiring at the moment, and that will affect the broadband connection speed.

Can you confirm that the extension phone has a microfilter connected to it? The microfilter would need to plug into the phone extension socket, and the phone itself would plug into the microfilter.

If that has been done, and the problem is still there, then you would have to totally disconnect the extension from where it is, and run it from the master socket instead.

There should be nothing connected to the line, before the master socket.

Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks sage,

The main cable comes into the master socket.  A white wire comes from this cable  and it runs into the hallway to a telephone socket. The finer wires are connected to the master socket output. If I put two microfilters between the socket in the hallway and the telephone it seems to work properly.

Our telephone connection has been poor for many years and is still worse than a mobile.

0 Ratings