Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gusedmondson
Beginner
Message 1 of 13

Broadband in my area

Go to solution

Hi there,

We live in a fairly rural area in the south-east and have struggled with poor download speeds for a long time. Using the broadband speed checker on the BT website apparently we can get fibre 1 with 50mb average speeds, up from the 8 or less that we currently have. I wanted to know if there is a way to confirm this as we have been told we could get certain speeds before however it has never been above 10mbps so I dont want to commit to a contract if we only get a fraction of what was said to be possible. Cheers

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Broadband in my area

Go to solution

@gusedmondson 

Do you have a working BT Retail phone line at the moment?

0 Ratings
gusedmondson
Beginner
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Sorry I'm not 100% sure on what you mean by that, we aren't currently using BT for anything. We have sky broadband which isn't great and what I basically wanted to know is if there is a minimum speed gurantee seeing as the website said we could be on the fibre 1 option at 50mbps average dowload speed

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

If you have a BT phone enter the number in the checker https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

or enter your address if with another provider.

The infrastructure will be the same whichever provider you use, changing provider won't change your speed.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

@gusedmondson wrote:

Sorry I'm not 100% sure on what you mean by that, we aren't currently using BT for anything. We have sky broadband which isn't great and what I basically wanted to know is if there is a minimum speed gurantee seeing as the website said we could be on the fibre 1 option at 50mbps average dowload speed

In that case, it would not be possible to give an accurate speed estimate, as it depends on the physical routing of your phone line, which is linked to your phone number.

You can try the address checker, but its not going to be as accurate.

Broadband availability checker

All providers have access to the same Openreach fibre cabinets, so your current provider should be able to offer the same speed.

As you are not a current BT Retail customer, there is nothing else I can suggest.

0 Ratings
jktownley
Beginner
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

You said:  "The infrastructure will be the same whichever provider you use, changing provider won't change your speed."

Are you sure about that?

I'm with Virgin Media.

They don't use BT's outdated infrastructure, and the speeds are wAAAAy faster.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

Obviously Virgin use their own infrastructure. I was referring to other providers using the Openreach network. 

Hmm, didn't think Virgin exceeded 900 Mbps download.

0 Ratings
yorkspark
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

@jktownleywrote:

You said:  "The infrastructure will be the same whichever provider you use, changing provider won't change your speed."

Are you sure about that? I think you knew that the vast majority of the population use the openreach network for internet access, and are just trying to be clever.

I'm with Virgin Media. So why are you on a BT Retail forum?

They don't use BT's outdated infrastructure, and the speeds are wAAAAy faster. It's not BT, but openreach's infrastructure as you should know, and virgin offer approx 900meg max and funnily enough so do Openreach & BT so not waaaaay faster as you said, but equal.

jktownley
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

It’s not a case of “trying to be clever”.

It’s a case of exposing a deliberately misleading statement (AKA a lie).

Licquorice said: “The infrastructure will be the same whichever provider you use, changing provider won't change your speed.”

That is not true, and you know it.

It was a deliberately misleading statement suggesting that there is no point switching to a different provider.

I’m on the BT Retail forum to see if BT, are aiming to offer fibre broadband in my area in the coming months/years, before I sign up to another contract with Virgin Media.

If BT were planning to offer fast broadband in my area in the next 6 months or so, I would hold off with the Virgin Media contract … not that it’s any of your business why I’m here.

You can call it Openreach’s infrastructure if you like, but Openreach is one of BT’s subsidiary companies, so saying that it’s theirs is like a double-glazing salesman saying that he has no control over the windows that he’s selling.

😮 Ooo0OO0oo

That 900meg max sounds Sooooooo tempting.

Such a shame that BT only offers a paltry “Stay Fast Guarantee 17Mb” in my area.

Compared to that, Virgin’s 516Mb really is wAAAAy faster.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

You cannot switch to Virgin if they don't have infrastructure in your area , however, you can switch to any number of different suppliers using the Openreach infrastructure.

0 Ratings