cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hayesn
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Broadband install on Monday - still no broadband...

I hope someone can help - I don't know where else to go.

I had a BT infinity and TV package installed on Monday. The engineer said the install was fine but there was an issue with the cabinet but this could be done remotely and I should be online by the evening. Despite a couple of conversations/chats I have no idea what's going on - all I have is a 'sorry for the delay' on my status and a message that I had been allocated a BT engineer (from Monday).

My existing provider (virgin) has disconnected and so I have no broadband. This is not a good way to start. Do I have a right to cancel?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Broadband install on Monday - still no broadband...

Is your phone line working, on the BT phone socket?

If it is then

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
hayesn
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Thanks - info below.

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number on Exchange FOXHALL is served by Cabinet 6
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

WBC FTTC Availability Date

WBC SOGEA Availability Date

Left in Jumper

High Low High Low
VDSL Range A (Clean) 49 35 10 7 -- Waiting list -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 36.5 20 8.2 4.5 -- Waiting list -- --
ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 5.5 -- 4.5 to 6.5 Available -- --
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 5.5 Up to 1 4.5 to 6.5 Available -- --
ADSL Max Up to 3 -- 2 to 4 Available -- --
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available -- --
BET Up to 2 -- -- Available -- --
Other Offerings

Availability Date

VDSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --
ADSL Multicast -- -- -- Available -- --
This PCP has a waiters list for FTTC services. You may place an order which will be dealt with in turn.
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

There is an open order on your line which is due to complete by 03-Oct-2016.

For VDSL or G.fast Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Dec-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.
Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

Thank you for your interest.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

The cabinet is full, you are possibly on a waiting list.

VDSL Range A (Clean) 49 35 10 7 -- Waiting list -- --
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 36.5 20 8.2 4.5 -- Waiting list -- --

You can either wait, or order standard broadband until Openreach increase the capacity of the cabinet.

Its also possible that you took the last port on tha cabinet, and it turned out to be faulty, however its wise to check at your end, to make sure you have everything connected correctly.

Which one of these matches your phone socket?

nte.jpg or oldnte.jpgor adslface.jpg or  newnte.jpg

0 Ratings
hayesn
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Thanks very much for your help. Surely they cannot sell me a product they knowingly are unable to provide? If I knew I this I would have stayed with Virgin.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

It more likely that its a faulty port, and there are no spares.

If you are happy that you have everything connected up correctly, using a microfilter if you have a single outlet socket, or no microfilter if you have a master socket with two outlets, then all you can do is wait for a visit.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

@hayesn wrote:
Thanks very much for your help. Surely they cannot sell me a product they knowingly are unable to provide? If I knew I this I would have stayed with Virgin.

It's not always knowingly.  BT sells the service, but Openreach provides it.  And all the other ISPs are selling the same service at the same time.

There can be a bit of a delay between the various ISPs selling fibre broadband to customers and Openreach realising that there aren't enough slots left in the cabinet to supply them all.

It's a rubbish system, but nobody seems to care enough to fix it.  Hotels and theatres may have several re-sellers, but somehow they manage not to sell the same room or seat twice.

0 Ratings
hayesn
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

Thanks. I finally got through last night to an operator who confirmed that the cabinet was at full capacity and I would get a call today to let me know when I am going to get online. I've had no call all day now. I think I need to call the cancellations team and argue that I've not actually received the full service promised and go back to Virgin.

0 Ratings