Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
neilt1
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Broadband issue

Since the Chat desk limits you to 240 words, I am posting this here.  

I am writing to express extreme frustration with the performance of the internet at our house..
As you can see, I am a long-term BT customer and have the Infinity 2 package, which should give us the best internet experience.  Unfortunately, this is not the case and my son, who is a keen gamer, complains every day about the performance  - he gets thrown out of games because of spikes where the ping can rise as high as 3000.   Our NOWTv package is also affected at times, with occasional buffering of even low-content programmes.   My son also reports that the spikes do not seem to be related to times of day,

We have the latest BT Smart Hub - indeed, you replaced it after we complained about the performance of the last one.   My son's room has the master phone socket in it and he is connected to the router via an Ethernet cable, so he should be getting the best performance possible.   Our basic Download sync speed is 185 Mbps and Upoload is 1.37 which is tolerable if scarcely exciting, but his issue is with the spikes in upload which, as mentioned, result in frequent swearing at his screen and occasional sorties from his room to beg me to sort out the bl***y internet.  We try to avoid turning the router off as we know the issues this can cause with the system: it has currentle been on uninterrupted for 12 days.

I should mention that we have a lot of devices between the four of us but obviously there is a limit to how many of them are working at any one time. 

To give you an idea of where we are, Virgin have installed fibre optic up to the edge of our property and my son sent me an e-mail at 01.45 this morning because he had been on uSwitch and found a Virgin Media VIVID 200 Unlimited Ultrafast Fibre Broadband and Phone package.  We are very committed to BT at the moment, with the landline, Cloud storage, BT Sport, a BT E-mail address and two BT Mobile contracts, so moving would be a real pain - however, it is becoming a serious option.

I am very keen to hear whether you think we should be getting a better performance than we are and how we could achieve this.   My post code is in the BN7 1 area, I'm not sure whether this is the place to put more information than that.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Broadband issue

this is a customer help customer forum and your post does not go to BT although forum is moderated by BT employees not all posts are read

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number but leave rest  http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

can you post hub stats from hh6 - advanced settings then technical log

can you try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone

have you tried connecting to test socket to see if that improves your connection by eliminating your internal wiring

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Starwire2000
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 12

185mbps on Infinity 2.

There’s your fault, you should only be getting a Max Sync Rate of 80mbps and a throughout of about 76mbps.

0 Ratings
neilt1
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

I'm really sorry for the basic error - I meant 18.5 Mbps. I don't know where the decimal point went
0 Ratings
neilt1
Beginner
Message 5 of 12

Thank you for your reply.   I appreciate that this is not BT and that some of my wording was lifted from an e-mail that I had written but was unable to send because BT doesn't like e-mails and prefers chat as long as it's less than 240 words long.

I will do what you ask later on today and I appreciate the help.   Please note that I made a schoolboy error in the text and that the Download sync is 18.5 Mbps, not 185.  

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
neilt1
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

I hope this is intelligible

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000226 EndHTML:000016552 StartFragment:000000473 EndFragment:000016504 StartSelection:000000538 EndSelection:000016494 SourceURL:http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput BT Broadband

on Exchange LEWES is served by Cabinet 3

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)WBC FTTC Availability DateWBC SOGEA Availability DateLeft in Jumper  High Low High Low        Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)WBC FTTP Availability Date   ADSL ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date Left in JumperOther Offerings     Availability Date   Premise environmentStatus
VDSL Range A (Clean)31.321.25.33.218AvailableAvailable-- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)23.41151.57.9AvailableAvailable-- 
FTTP on Demand33030--Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 7--6 to 8Available---- 
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 7Up to 16 to 8Available---- 
ADSL MaxUp to 4.5--3 to 7.5Available---- 
WBC Fixed Rate2 ----Available---- 
Fixed Rate2 ----Available---- 
VDSL Multicast------Available---- 
ADSL Multicast------Available---- 
Bridge TapN      
VRIN      
NTEFaceplateN      
Last Test Date28-02-2018      

For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (VDSL or G.fast) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

This line is on a Market B Exchange.

For VDSL or G.fast Ranges A and B, the term "Clean" relates to a line which is free from any wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions, and the term "Impacted" relates to a line which may have wiring issues (e.g. Bridge Taps) and/or Copper line conditions.

In order to be eligible for handback, downstream speed should be less than Downstream Handback Threshold values.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 30-Nov-2012; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact the Broadband supplier they want to take service from to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number, NAD, UPRN or Access Line ID (ALID) check.

Note: If you decide to place an order for a WBC fibre product, an appointment may be required for an engineer to visit the end user's premises to supply the service.

Thank you for your interest.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

from the dslchecker results your speed range the line can handle is 31/21mb so you can't get the infinity 1 max never mind the infinity 2 level

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
neilt1
Beginner
Message 8 of 12

Thank you.   So does this mean that the behaviour we are experiencing is to be expected or should I still do the other tests that you recommended?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 12

If you post the connection stats from the hub we can see if there is a potential  problem with your connection.

0 Ratings
neilt1
Beginner
Message 10 of 12

Thank you pippincp

Is this what you mean or do you want the Event Log?

Product name:

BT Hub 6A

Serial number:

+084319+NQ73008039

Firmware version:

SG4B1000B522

Firmware updated:

10-Jan-2018

Board version:

Gui version:

DSL uptime:

12 Days, 18 Hours 31 Minutes 47 Seconds