cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 31

Broadband issues New fibre 2 customer

I transferred over to BT fibre 2 package from sky around few months ago now. I was getting 64/18mbps with sky.

I received a sales call from BT telling me that my line could guarantee 130mbps with Fibre 150, which I declined at the time and then later signed up for Fibre 2 online as it guaranteed basically the same performance as my Sky max package.

I week or so before my line transfer to BT, I started to experience line drop outs which resulted in my speed dropping from its usual 64/18  down to 50/9 mbps. The My Sky app reported a fault with the line so I phoned Sky,  they wanted me to pay a callout fee so I declined because I was about to transfer over to BT anyway. 

Since I've  been with BT my line has stayed at 50/9 and I've also experienced occasional line dropouts, It seems that when ever I have even a modest improvement in my lines statistics, its not long before I get a drop pout again.

The green cabinets are only at the top of my street and the fibre cab is huawei which I know is capable of better  performance than I'm currently getting

My technical log shows Maximum data rate:22.321 Mbps / 63.310 Mbps and I'm currently capped 

at 9.999 Mbps / 55 Mbps

I just phoned BT today after a line dropout leaving my routers ring in the red, they told me they can't detect any line issue's, or todays dropout, and I'm apparently getting more than my guaranteed speed of 39mbps, they also told my if they sent an Openreach engineer I may have to pay a callout fee. They then transferred to a sales team without making it clear to me, who tried to offer me a faster package.

UPDATE Just as I'm writing this I've received a text message telling my they have checked the network and need to send an engineer to visit me? I declined on the phone because of a call out fee, and she recommended against an engineer visit? 

Technical log 

Product name,BT Smart Hub 2
Serial number,+091298+2045032547
Fireware version,v0.26.03.01286-BT (Thu Jan 28 17:38:02 2021)
Board version,R01
GUI version,1.74 12_11_2020
DSL uptime,0 days 0 Hours 26 Mins 57 Secs
Data rate,10.0 Mbps / 55.0 Mbps
Maximum Data rate,22.3 Mbps / 63.3 Mbps
Noise margin,14.3/7.9
Line attenuation,9.4/14.3
Signal attenuation,9.4/16.8
VLAN id,101
Upstream error control,Off
Downstream error control,Off
Data sent / received,5.0 MB Uploaded / 105.7 MB Downloaded
Broadband username,bthomehub@btbroadband.com
BT Wi-Fi,Active
2.4 GHz wireless network name,BT-3GAS6T
2.4 GHz wireless channel,Smart (Channel1)
5 GHz wireless network name,BT-3GAS6T
5 GHz wireless channel,Smart (Channel36)
Wireless Security,WPA2 (Recommanded)
Wireless mode,Mode 1
Firewall,On
MAC address,60:8D:26:18:BF:B4
Software variant,-
Boot loader, 0.1.7-BT (Thu Nov 30 09:45:22 2017)

0 Ratings
30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31

Re: Broadband issues New fibre 2 customer

There appears to be 2 problems here, you seem to have been provisioned at fibre1 rather than fibre2 and your downstream max data rate seems to be very slow compared with your upstream max data rate, particularly as you are so close to the cabinet. Is there any noise on your line with a quiet line test on 17070?

Can you post a screenshot of the checker, edit out phone number from screenshot before posting. https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 31

You appear to have been provisioned on fibre 1 55/10mb. Can you check MYBT and make sure your package shows fibre 2 not 1. Then post back

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 31

My BT app shows Fibre 2 package. The text message I received requires me to book an Openreach engineer appointment, but I'm a bit  uneasy about doing that due to the risk of a callout fee. The BT customer service rep I spoke to on the phone, thinks there's nothing is wrong with my line.

I used to get 74mbps down when I first had the Sky max package, but over a year ago now I started getting line drop outs, it took 3 openreach engineers to solve the issue, although they could never trace the fault, the engineer switched me over to a new fibre board in the cab and my speed settled at around 64/18 from then on.

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/

Screenshot 2021-05-10 193024.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 31

Quiet line test?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 31

@jamonbread wrote:

The text message I received requires me to book an Openreach engineer appointment, but I'm a bit  uneasy about doing that due to the risk of a callout fee.

Your choice, its not going to fix itself.

You were getting 65M down 20M up on the 5th April

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 31

Quiet line test has a background hum, like a barely audible tape his, I think I can occasionally hear some mild crackles.  

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 31

I've just checked the My BT and it turns out I've been with BT since the end of February (more than a few months now) and my speed has remined at 50/9 the whole time I've been with them. 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 31

No it hasn't, see message 6 and your checker screenshot.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 31

If you are getting any crackles on your line then you need to report a phone fault NOT broadband and get engineer visit

0 Ratings