cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 31

Re: Broadband issues New fibre 2 customer

I've done speed tests every other day and it has never gone beyond 50/9 since I've been with BT.  Maybe it was at the speed for a day? My router crashes after any slight bumps and improvements to things noise margin.

What are circumstances which could result in a callout fee with Openreach, I'm using everything that came with my router, and it was only last year that Openreach changed to a BT filtered master socket Mk4 when I was still with Sky.

If the Openreach engineer can't find anything wrong with the line, will I possibly get charged then as well?

Edit

When I follow the link that came with text messages to book an engineers visit its just takes me to a sales page anyway

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 31

Phone 151 and report a noisy line fault. There should be no charge

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 31

The problem is the line tests I've run on BT's diagnostics page find no faults with my line at all. If I call out openreach and they can't find anything wrong too, will they charge me a call out fee if they find no fault?

The link BT has sent me for booking an Openreach engineer was just a sales page, I tried to run the diagnostics through my account, but It can't find anything wrong with my line so will not allow to book an appointment.

Is there away to phone BT's technical support and speak to someone higher up the support chain?

If I'd have known that my line was going to lose speed capability by transferring to BT I would have paid for Firbre 1 package instead, but they mislead me.

The customer service agent said there's nothing wrong with my line, and that they couldn't  see all the line drops I've had, including the one minutes before I phoned them? I've experienced 4 dropouts this past week which is higher than my weekly average since I've been with BT. 

She then tells me I'm getting better than my guaranteed speed, then tells me the package I'm on is only 55 mbps max before transferring me to the sale team, I guess they so they could sell me a faster package, despite my line not making the most of the current one. 

0 Ratings
Message 14 of 31

First of all it is almost certain you have been put on a fibre1 product (55M max) rather than fibre2 (80M max) which is the primary reason for your slow speed. The secondary problem is that you have a faulty line which will reduce your speed capability once the fibre1 profile has been changed to fibre2.

As long as the fault isn't proved to be within your home wiring you won't be charged. If the line is noisy with a quiet line test carried out at the test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket, the fault must be external to your wiring.

Message 15 of 31

If you try the quiet line test from the test socket and can still hear line noise/crackle then phone 151 and report a phone fault.  As using test socket eliminates problems in the home then you should not be charged for openreach visit. You are not going to make progress with your speed with a noisy line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 16 of 31

I'll have to phone back tomorrow now, as their advisers are out of hours.

Should the quiet line test be completely 100% silent, or is it normal to hear some constant background hum, like an analogue noise floor? I can hear a permanent ever present mild background static, and very occasionally the lightest crackle, but its barely above the constant static hum. 

Thanks for all the replies and guidance, I'll report back tomorrow after reporting the fault. I can't understand why BT can't see the fault themselves.  

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 31

It should be absolutely silent.

There are a great many types of impairment to a line that BT will be unable to see.

Message 18 of 31

I called today and reported the line being noisey, the first thing the tech support guy said to me was he could hear the noise himself.

After testing the line again, he explained to me the reason I got the follow up text message about booking an Openreach engineer was because while BT's customer service rep yesterday couldn't detect any issues on the line with their own test, it was later flagged by Openreach's external network testing as having a fault.

I couldn't book an Openreach callout via the text message link sent yesterday by BT because it makes you run through a line test first which couldn't detect the fault, it wouldn't allow me to proceed any further to book an engineer as a result. They sent me a link to bt.com.

The rep I spoke to also thinks the line cap is probably due to the fault on the line as opposed to them incorrectly capping my speed at Fibre 1 levels, he said that only the openreach engineer can remove those caps. 

Openreach are coming Thursday afternoon.

0 Ratings
Message 19 of 31

@jamonbread wrote:

The rep I spoke to also thinks the line cap is probably due to the fault on the line as opposed to them incorrectly capping my speed at Fibre 1 levels, he said that only the openreach engineer can remove those caps. 

Openreach are coming Thursday afternoon.

Hmm, I don't think so. He is assuming that it is DLM that has capped your line due to the noise, I'm convinced that it has been mis-provisioned. I don't think DLM caps upload speed and your upload speed has been capped at Fibre 1 speed, too much of a coincidence. Query that strongly with the engineer when he attends.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 31

Will the engineer be able to lift any caps on the line?

0 Ratings