cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
tels93
Message 1 of 7

Broadband keeps cutting out and is slower than promised - Please help!

Hey, my broadband keeps cutting out and is super slow! I'm sure it use to be a lot quicker when it was first installed 4-5 months ago!!

If someone could please help me troubleshoot this - I'd be very grateful Smiley Happy

Thanks in advance,

Sam

BT info.PNGBT Speed.PNG

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broadband keeps cutting out and is slower than promised - Please help!

You have 67mb connection speed so looks ok as almost same as attainable
Are you using ethernet connection to run btspeedtester? If not can you run again
Is there any noise on phone line

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
tels93
Message 3 of 7

This is a test directly plugged in with ethernet. Where do you see 67mb? The test suggested around 10-15mb?

What could be causing the connection to be dropping then reconnecting 5-10 mins later?

Last point - I'm trying to learn but, we don't have a phone as far as I'm aware? Do we necessarially have a phone number?

Thanks so much!

Sam

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

You would have a phone number, and noise on the phone line will affect your download speed, as it will cause errors and force re-transmission. This may not actually affect the connection speed.

You must check this with a basic wired phone which should cost you less than £10.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

You have phone package which is a must if you have broadband and you do have a phone number this should be shown in initial BT docs
I would get phone and check for number and line noise dial 17070 option 2 should hear your number and then should be silent best with corded phone
Your router stats show 67mb connection speed all bt speeds are connection speed not download

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 6 of 7

Hi @imjolly & @Keith_Beddoe ,

Might this be another example of the BTW Speed Test on the blink again ?

I think I saw a post from a mod in the last week or two saying not to use it and use the BT one instead.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

there are subsequent posts with btspeedtester working - but that is not to say it has not broken again

0 Ratings