Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jonmale
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 13

Broadband keeps dropping out

Go to solution

Over the past couple of days my Infinity2 Broadband keeps dropping out.  The middle 'Broadband' light on my HomeHub3 switches from solid blue to solid amber every two minutes or so.  The green DSL light on the white box blinks.  After a few minutes both return to solid blue / solid green respectively.

Internet connections through the Wifi are disrupted.  Google indicates the connection is not secure.

I've reset the Hub3 a number of times, using the reset button on the side (two circular arrows) - but this doesn't resolve the problem.

No changes have been made to the equipment - I've also checked the cables to all devices and checked they're firmly plugged in, including to the wall sockets.  I've not yet reset the Hub using the Factory Reset hole at the back.

I've checked to see there are no local issues (BT line checker).  When I enter my phone number, it returns that there's no faults on the line.

Please could you help me fix this issue.  Thank you.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Broadband keeps dropping out

Go to solution

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

jonmale
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks Keith.

The line is super crackly.

Perhaps this is why the BB is dropping out.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Yes, that is the reason.

Plug the phone into the test socket and see if the noise is still there. If it is, then report it as a noisy phone line, not a broadband fault, as you will get it fixed much quicker.

Once the phone line noise is fixed, the broadband will get better.

Test Socket.jpg

jonmale
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution
Ok, so if I unscrew the casing and plug the phone directly into the Test socket (no BB filter), the line is better. Line sounds like a ticking sound with no crunching.
Now I've plugged everything back in (including filter) and the crackling is five times worse! You can hear it the other side of the room thru the phone handset.

I read somewhere (perhaps on these forums) that BB filters can deteriorate over time. Could it be the filter which is faulty?

Mine is a speedtouch ADSL filter if that is going to be useful.

Where should I go from here?

Thanks.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

Do you have any extension wiring?

The fact that the cracking noise is not there at the test socket, would indicate an issue with your internal wiring.

When you take the bottom section off, are there any wires connected to the back of the bottom section you removed?

Connect things up as shown below, and see if there is any noise.

test_socket.jpg

jonmale
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution
Thanks Keith.

To confirm, there are no other wires connected to the back of the bottom section.

I've connected it up as per the diagram.

HOWEVER, now I've had the box open again, I notice if I move the connection to the Test socket (either using phoneline directly or filter) the dial tone (and crackle) cuts out completely. If I move the cable, connected directly the the Test socket, I can stop the crackle or indeed cut the signal completely.

This leads me to believe it's not the filter which is faulty. I reckon it's the socket itself.
0 Ratings
jonmale
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution
*to be accurate, I'm moving the connector end, moving the connector (on phone wire or ADSL filter) directly in the Test socket, not the cables.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Its probably faulty contacts or a loose wire on the back of the master socket. Its usually just a couple of screw connections marked A and B, and is where the incoming line terminates.

That is almost certain the reason why you broadband is dropping out.

Strictly the back wiring is the responsibility of Openreach, but there is no harm in checking the incoming line termination at the back of the master socket, as that is the likely cause. Possibly loose screws or wires.

If they look OK, then the master socket needs replacing. You can buy them, or you could request a visit.

jonmale
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks again.

Where is the 'back of the master socket'? Do you have a diagram?

Whereabouts are the A and B screws? I can't find any markings with letters on. Which screws should I try tightening? I think loose wires may be above my technical ability to fix however.

With the front off the white wall box, I've connected the filter to the Test socket and the phone & BB into the filter.
The connection into the Test socket is VERY temperamental, but the 'b' broadband light on the Hub is now solid blue (for the time being!) & I've got an Internet connection.

0 Ratings