cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Broadband keeps dropping, temporarily comes back when going through 'fix a problem' tool

Go to solution

Has anyone experienced this before?

Last week, my broadband just dropped out randomly and my hub was flashing purple/pink. I went through the 'fix a problem' tool on the BT support site (where you answer questions and then BT do a reset I believe) and this fixed the issue for a day.

Then it drops again. Over the last week I've  gone through the same process: go to the BT website - answer all the questions - broadband comes back for a few hours - it drops again. Rinse, repeat.

I've checked my local network by ringing the automated BT number and there are no wider reported issues. Is this a hardware problem? And how is it being temporarily fixed when I go through the BT website and its debugging tool? 

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Broadband keeps dropping, temporarily comes back when going through 'fix a problem' tool

Go to solution

@Benrhayward 

Welcome to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Re: Broadband keeps dropping, temporarily comes back when going through 'fix a problem' tool

Go to solution
Hi Keith,

Thank you for the quick reply. I don't have a landline phone unfortunately.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@Benrhayward 

Its most likely an issue with line noise which you will need to check with a phone at the test socket.

If the phone line is noisy or has a high resistance connection, then that will affect your broadband.

There are quite a few people that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband, constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £10) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

You may find that the very act of plugging a phone in, and getting dial tone, fixes your broadband, as it breaks down any corrosion.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Hi there,

My broadband and router are behaving the same as this thread, so thought I'd post here rather than start another one - 

Intermittently my internet will cut out, with the Hub6 displaying a pink light, then orange, then ultimately back to blue again. Can happen several times a day, no consistency with times.

I purchased a landline phone to connect to test the line as advised previously, connected to the phone socket in the wall and there is no dial tone at all, unable to make the test call. The socket I used is in the same wall unit that the Hub6 is connected to, just the other socket.

My account with BT is data only -  no included calls, but I assume I'd be able to make premium-rate calls at least? Had the account for multiple years, on an infinity package. I've no other phone sockets in the house, is there anything else I can try or anything I'm clearly doing wrong?

Thanks!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Sweetjebus and thanks for posting.

Are you connected to the test socket behind the faceplate? If so and there is no dial tone there you need to report a fault on 151.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution
Hi David,

Yeah I tried removing the front two plates and connected the phone to the final socket at the back on the wall and there was still no dial tone.

Probably ridiculous question - can I phone 151 from my mobile?
Thanks
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

You can of course @Sweetjebus.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks so much for your quick responses.

BT are dispatching an engineer to a fault connected to my line 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

That's great to hear @Sweetjebus. Thanks for letting me know.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings