cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Broadband keeps dropping

Hiya everyone,

For many months my BT internet connection was stable and I was getting some good fast speeds. I am using a Smart Hub 2 and currently have the Fibre 100 with BT Halo 1 service.

Now this is a pretty odd frustrating problem, for most times of the day the connection is stable but around 12pm - 4pm I lose my connection (only for a few mins mostly but its now getting annoying. I looked at the Hub technical log for today's drop outs and got this information (this is the edited version btw)

16:44:22, 26 May.

PPP LCP Send Termination Request (User request)

PPP: IPCP down

PPP: LCP down

DSL Link Down: duration was 992 seconds

16:26:13, 26 May.

WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]

16:26:12, 26 May.

PPP: Stopped PPP daemon(0,1,5)

DSL Link Down: duration was 10821 seconds

13:24:10, 26 May.

WAN connection WAN2_INTERNET_PTM disconnected.[ERROR_NO_CARRIER]

13:24:09, 26 May.

DSL Link Down: duration was 3622 seconds

12:23:55, 26 May.

DSL Link Up: Down Rate=139405kbps, Up Rate=23781kbps; SNR Margin Down=3.0dB, Up=3.0dB

12:23:53, 26 May.

PPP: Sending PADI

12:23:48, 26 May.

PPP: Starting PPP daemon

12:23:47, 26 May.

WAN Auto-sensing detected port DSL WAN

12:22:12, 26 May.

12:22:12, 26 May

DSL Link Down: duration was 41 second

Now the disconnections for today happened at 12.20pm, 1.25pm, 4.25pm and 4.45pm and no drop connections in morning or evening. Yesterday had drop outs at 12.05pm, 12.50pm and 1.30pm and then none after. Thinking about it these drop outs never happened during the weekend either?

When its working I get a good upload and download speeds.

I had an BT Engineer came around and reported no faults on line, hub or the exchange box.

Im pretty new to this so may not understand a lot of tech talk but if anyone can help then I be most grateful as this is frustrating and as a streamer this isnt helping at all.

Thank You

Mark 'Doughnut' Doney

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Broadband keeps dropping

Let me know if you want my Hub settings its as mentioned a Smart Hub 2 but have let other friends have a look and nothing really stood out?

I have reset my hub a few times and also tried a different ethernet cable (even though that wont do anything I know).

Also a quiet line test on the openreach socket was fine no noise

So why does this still happen then if nothing major has been found, do I have to accept that this is going to happen every weekday now?

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Hi -

I have the same problem !

Affects the TV too !

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Okay a few of my friends have suggested me to turn Smart Scan off in the Smart Hub (wifi section). So I went into the Hub Manager and turned off the Smart Scan for both channels.

Now its just looking at the nominated channel only (6 and 36 I think) and will see if this works in the next few days. Smart Scan tries to find the best signal for your wifi devices and it does this by dropping your main signal for a few mins and then connects again.

So changing these settings now hopefully might have stopped the drops...but will see

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Sadly Smart Scan didnt work 😞 ...back to square one.

May need to phone BT again and this time be pretty angry as the fault clearly hasnt been fixed...and clearly something is going wrong (12 drop outs the past 3 days prove this). They gave me a mini hub to use when it drops out but its very infrequent and also this mini hub is useless for my PC.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Yup they are linked sadly. So yours just drops out at odd times for no real reason?
0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Can you post hub stats advanced settings then technical log information 

did you use a wifi analyser app on your phone to see channels in use near you and then select a free or less congested channel?

did you turn off smart setup?

do you have anything in your home that comes on or goes off at the times connection drops and you don't have at the weekend

do you use powerline adapters?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Update Today

Drooped a further 3 times each one for a few mins, that makes 12 now in total.

Can you post hub stats advanced settings then technical log information see below

did you use a wifi analyser app on your phone to see channels in use near you and then select a free or less congested channel?

Wifi Analyser app?.....my PC is connected to the router via Ethernet cable

did you turn off smart setup?

Yes turned off didn't work

do you have anything in your home that comes on or goes off at the times connection drops and you don't have at the weekend

Nope nothing and this fault has only happened a few weeks ago, before then it was fine with only the odd problem.

do you use powerline adapters?  Nope

Tech LogTech Log

Adv settings.JPG

Connection problems from yesterday (edited) you can see what happened when it dropped out during various times.

connectionproblems2.JPG

I hope that helps, thanks for any assistance

Mark

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Do people suggest I get a fan next to it as my room is pretty warm during the summer months? Could this be a reason that it overheats so drops signal and then comes back on?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

Check for noise on you line. 17070 option 2, best with corded phone.

0 Ratings