cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 15

Broadband keeps dropping

Hi, I have a problem with my broadband, everything is fine for months then all or a sudden it keeps dropping every 3-4 days. Smart hub stays up but line re syncs and noise margin goes up from about 3db to 18db and speed drops from about 58 mb to 20mb.

any advice?

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Re: Broadband keeps dropping

@Jason-steptoe 

Welcome to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 15

Hi keith

Thanks.

no I have no noise on line.

rebooted smart hub 4 days ago and all was ok till today.

noise margin was at 3-4 db until 4pm today when line re sync and it jumped up to 18db and download speed dropped from 58 to 15 mb.
jason

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 15

@Jason-steptoe wrote:

Hi keith

Thanks.

no I have no noise on line.

rebooted smart hub 4 days ago and all was ok till today.

noise margin was at 3-4 db until 4pm today when line re sync and it jumped up to 18db and download speed dropped from 58 to 15 mb.
jason

What does your master phone socket look like?

Keith_Beddoe_0-1577035081757.jpegKeith_Beddoe_1-1577035100602.jpeg

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 15

Last one no.7

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

@Jason-steptoe wrote:

Last one no.7

That one is known to give intermittent faults.

Please connect things up as shown below, and leave it like that for a few days, to see if your connection remains stable. You will need one of the spare microfilters that came with the home hub.

NTE 5C Test socket checkNTE 5C Test socket checkNTE 5C Test socket check

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 15

Hi Keith.

thanks for advice, I will do this tomorrow as the master socket etc is up in my loft space.

I will then monitor for a few days and report back.

jason

Message 8 of 15

@Jason-steptoe wrote:

Hi Keith.

thanks for advice, I will do this tomorrow as the master socket etc is up in my loft space.

I will then monitor for a few days and report back.

jason

I assume you have a very long RJ11 lead from the broadband socket on the NTE, feeding into your home hub at the moment?

The problem with those sockets is due to poor contact between the front 4A filter section, and the test socket behind. There is not enough tension in the clips at the side, to hold the parts together.

Also if its in the loft, then a certain amount of oxidisation of the contacts is likely to take place, especially if there is any damp.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

No, the smart hub is up there too as the loft is insulated and no damp issues at all.

i use a Cisco commercial WiFi unit and all pc’s and tv is hard wired to a Poe+ hub, only use smart hub for modem really, WiFi turned off as Cisco has better coverage and through put.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 15

@Jason-steptoe wrote:

No, the smart hub is up there too as the loft is insulated and no damp issues at all.

i use a Cisco commercial WiFi unit and all pc’s and tv is hard wired to a Poe+ hub, only use smart hub for modem really, WiFi turned off as Cisco has better coverage and through put.

That`s fine.

See how it goes with the microfilter in the test socket.

0 Ratings