Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
foxcourt
Beginner
Message 1 of 18

Broadband monthly dropout

Hi

At a few seconds after minight on the 1st day of every month my BB connection drops. I have FTC.

After rebooting the router the service is stable and does not drop again until the 1st day of the following month. I have monitored this over the last 15 months and it happens every month like clockwork.

I use a Netgear D7800 router.

Seems to me that BT flushes the connection automatically once a month. Does anyone else see this happening, and if so is there a fix?

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Broadband monthly dropout

Hmm, that sounds very much like the router that's doing that. I highly doubt it would be DLM.
0 Ratings
foxcourt
Beginner
Message 3 of 18

Router?

No setting on Router interface that I can see that would regulate this behaviour.

A few months back I did speak to a BT person who confirmed that there was an auto reboot process initiated at the exchange, and that following my call they would disable this.

Needless to say it made no difference and the monthly flush continued......

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

the 'BT PERSON' just told you what you wanted to hear hence why nothing happened

many of the hh6/SH rebooted after 14 days but 3rd party routers are not normally affected  sounds more like a netgear problem as suggested by @Techwizz 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 18

@foxcourt, yes very likely to be the router. Not sure what would cause it, potentially the firmware?
0 Ratings
foxcourt
Beginner
Message 6 of 18

The behaviour has consistently occurred despite regular firmware updates (currently V1.0.1.44).

Its an automated issue -  ie it happens on the dot at the same time on the first day of every month. Something somwhere is disconnecting the modem from the ADSL signal, and it does not automatically reconnect. I have to reboot the router/modem to establish a connection again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 18

Just because you've kept the firmware updated does not mean there is no issue with the router itself.

Have you tried the Netgear forum? They may have the answer for you.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/English/ct-p/English

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Carlusha
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

@Techwizzwrote:
@foxcourt, yes very likely to be the router. Not sure what would cause it, potentially the firmware?

Just a suggestion from an old farter .....

What about the network settings for metered/unmetered? Don't these settings require a frequency for which to monitor data? In the OP's case, for example, monthly, might suggest somewhere, Windows may be carrying out this reset.

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 18

I was thinking it could be that, too, but the OP said "broadband" which made me think it was the actual connection that was dropping.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 18

@Carlusha wrote:

@Techwizzwrote:

Just a suggestion from an old farter .....

What about the network settings for metered/unmetered? Don't these settings require a frequency for which to monitor data? In the OP's case, for example, monthly, might suggest somewhere, Windows may be carrying out this reset.

Windows wouldn't (couldn't) be causing it. Network settings for metered/unmetered are for product updates and would auto reset using date & time in bios. It has nothing to do with the router or broadband connection.

0 Ratings