Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
foxcourt
Beginner
Message 11 of 18

Re: Broadband monthly dropout

Thanks so far guys.

I do not know whether the issue is BT cutting the signal, or the modem dropping the signal, and I don't know how I can ascertain that. The modem log simply reports  'internet disconnected...'

0 Ratings
foxcourt
Beginner
Message 12 of 18

and I don't run Windows. The network is all Mac.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 13 of 18

BT have nothing in place on their systems to cause a monthly reset of a third party router. Their systems cannot even access your router.

Unless they are doing especially for you there is nothing on their systems to drop a connection every month at exactly the same time.

foxcourt
Beginner
Message 14 of 18

BT have nothing in place on their systems to cause a monthly reset of a third party router. Their systems cannot even access your router.

Unless they are doing especially for you there is nothing on their systems to drop a connection every month at exactly the same time.

Its not 'resetting' the modem - whatever is happening is simply an automated disconnection, requiring a fresh ADSL connection to be established.

So it seems to me that this can only occur as a result of either (a) somewhere between the exchange and the modem the ADSL signal stops or (b) the modem decides to drop the ADSL connection, and in either case a fresh connection has to be manually established by rebooting the modem. In either case this disconnection is an automated process initiated (IMO) by either BT at the exchange, or by the software in the modem.

I have trawled the net for someone reporting similar behavious but found nothing.

0 Ratings
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 15 of 18

I advise that you take this up with Netgear, because it isn't a BT issue.
0 Ratings
Carlusha
Contributor
Message 16 of 18

@Techwizzwrote:
I advise that you take this up with Netgear, because it isn't a BT issue.

Could there be a scheduled event set-up on the router that disconnects and reconnects on a regular pre-defined basis? Apparently, following a Netgear firmware update, the disconnect function took place but the reconnect stopped.

OK, I am no expert but it is obvious that any regular event, in the OP's case, the 1st of each months for the last 15 months, must have required a schedule set-up somewhere to function. 

There is a good collection of search results from the Netgear forum but this item looked promising:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/wfi-schedule-not-working/m-p/1509020#M22578

Highlighted
foxcourt
Beginner
Message 17 of 18

Thanks for taking time to reply.

The schedule you refer to relates to blocking access to specific addresses/sites, so isn't the automated process that is disconnecting my ADSL service....

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 18

Would the easiest way to establish where the problem lies not be to replace your Netgear router.

If you still have a Homehub use it and if not either borrow one or buy a VDSL Modem/router from Amazon or Argos for under £40. Connect it up on the 30th March and if there is no disconnection you will know that it is your Netgear that is the problem and you can then pursue Netgear for an answer.

If it still disconnects you then know it is BT that is the problem and you then return the VDSL modem/router for a refund and pursue BT for an answer.

0 Ratings