cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 6

Broadband not working - BT home hub 5

Hey I was wondering if someone knew how to fix this please? My BT home hub 5 is playing up completely this weekend. It's going from blue for a couple of hours, then flashing orange, then steady orange. It's not been blue eg working for several hours now and I was wondering if there is anything to be done to fix this please? I've done all the resetting etc reccomend. 

Thank you 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Broadband not working - BT home hub 5

@shannon444901 

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for your quick reply, unfortunately we don't have a landline phone anymore so I'm not able to check it. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@shannon444901 wrote:

Thanks for your quick reply, unfortunately we don't have a landline phone anymore so I'm not able to check it. 

Then you will need to get hold of one.

There are quite a few people that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £10) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 6

Okay, will go and get one first thing, is there anything else to try in the meantime? Thank you 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

@shannon444901 wrote:

Okay, will go and get one first thing, is there anything else to try in the meantime? Thank you 

No really, as its normally a noisy line which causes disconnects. Lines fed from overhead wires are the most likely to have problems.

Make sure you test at the "test" socket to prove the fault onto the external network.

infinity_test.jpg

0 Ratings