cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 3

Broadband not working after thunderstorm

Last night there was a thunderstorm in my area, during which a lightling strike seemed to cause a large power surge in my house and since then my BT router has been flashing purple, i can connect to the router fine and acess its settings like i normally would through my computer but it seems it cannot connect to the internet.

I have since tried a few things to get it working but to no avail. I tried restarting the router multiple times, resetting the router to factory settings and even changing the cable between the router and the phone socket, but still it flashes purple! The landline seems unaffected as i can still make calls and there is no noise on the line.

I am starting to think that the power surge may have fried the hubs modem, but as BT seem to be discouriging people from ringing them and I cant seem to find the online chat, I thought i would post here first to see if theres anything else i could try before that. Thanks in advance!

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Broadband not working after thunderstorm

You've done all you can, either the modem in the hub is fried or the DSLAM in the cabinet.

You will need to brace yourself for a long wait calling cs I'm afraid.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 3

Re: Broadband not working after thunderstorm

Lightning can definitely kill electronics, so that sounds likely.

Rather than calling, I think you can register faults on the BT app or website. Looking at my app just now, there's a service checker on the very first page - if I remember right, you can progress from there.

0 Ratings