cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Broadband package max speed has been downgraded?

Go to solution

Hi,

I'm on a fibre package with BT (Fibre with BT Halo 1) that has been rated at estimated max speed of 40-50Mb for the last few years.

Suddenly (more or less overnight, I think), we're now rated at 20-23Mb max download speed - i.e. something upstream of me (cabinet or exchange) has changed and now this is the fastest I can ever expect.

This is...rather frustrating to say the least. 

Can someone in the know tell me how common it is for BT to basically halve your connection overnight with no communication / warning? And whether I can expect it to return to the old baseline? 

Given this new lower estimated max is what I am seeing on BT.com and across all the broadband / exchange check sites, I am thinking it's a deliberate downgrade due to capacity constraints, rather than a fault.

Thanks!

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Broadband package max speed has been downgraded?

Go to solution

welcome to the BT community forum where customers help customers and only BT employees are the forum mods

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Is your download speed actually slower or is it just your estimated/guaranteed speed that has been lowered? 

Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Many thanks! See below for router / exchange info. 

Max estimated speed from most providers now seems to be 20Mb. It has been 40-50Mb for years, so I don't know what is driving this. 

Router infoRouter infoConnection / Exchange InfoConnection / Exchange Info

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
My download speed is also lower, in line with the new estimate / guaranteed speed.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

This is now what I'm told my guaranteed / estimate is, and is in line with speed test results. 

Never had any problems with my connection previously, which was always 40-50Mb in line with previous guaranteed / estimate. 

estimateSpeed.PNG

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@Crea wrote:
My download speed is also lower, in line with the new estimate / guaranteed speed.

No, your estimate is now lower in line with your actual speed. I.e, it is reflecting reality.

However, your speed is lower than it should be and is below your handback threshold. Try connecting to the test socket behind the removable faceplate of the master socket with a new filter and see if your speed improves.

Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
Ah, ok, I'm misreading this then, apologies - I thought the estimate was based on some fundamental constraints on the infrastructure side, but in reality it's a sampling of my actual connection speed in semi-real time?

So there might be a fault rather than a deliberate downgrade?

Apologies the workings of this is pretty opaque to me, so forgive my ignorance!
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Its possible you have a disconnection on one wire of your phone line. Can you get dial tonr when you plug a phone in?

One wire disconnected usually causes about half speed.

Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Well, somewhat embarrassingly, a home hub reboot seems to have resolved it all. 

Sorry folks! Totally misread what was happening here. Appreciate the guidance!

0 Ratings