cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Broadband reduced from 44mb download to 31mb after engineer visit

Hi everyone, would value and welcome some advice on next steps after an engineer visit yesterday and today. I've had no real issues with my broadband for 3 years. My max theoretical speed on the line (FTTC) is 54mb. I live 600m from the cabinet and have generally received 47-48 download speeds and 10-11 upload speeds. A couple of days ago I ran a speed test and saw I was syncing at 44mb. I've had no issues with drop outs. I jumped on the tech chat just to check on my line as was wondering why I'd dropped slightly. The tech checked and said interference on the line and book an engineer who has been working on the line between yesterday and today. Initially they said my SNR profile was 3mb and the line was producing a lot of errors (they mentioned in the thousands). They swapped my faceplate for the MK5 and proceeded to swap me onto different lines . End result - I now have 31mb sync speed 7mb upload and the line keeps dropping out today. I really wish I hadn’t bothered to get in touch as I’ve gone from a good service where I thought maybe there was a profile change needed to being left with a download speed 25% worse then where I started.  Since the reset I've also lost connection four times in 30 mins and the SMart Hub has displayed an amber light.    
The engineer said they had done all they could do. I appreciate if my line is reset that DLM needs to kick in and at the moment the SNR will be set to 6db not 3 reducing the speed, but surely not from 44 to 31 with drop outs a new issue? Engineer said the distance from the exchange was an issue. I get that as well but I was achieving 44mb before they started touching it which I ran through the BT speed tester.
Where do I go from here, just very frustrated as I rely on a fast connection for work?

Best wishes (and router stats below from BT Smart Hub advanced settings page )

Downstream sync speed:
31.57 Mbps

Upstream sync speed:
5.82 Mbps

Maximum data rate:
5815 / 37980

Noise margin:
7.6 dB / 6.2 dB

Line attenuation:
39.8 dB

Signal attenuation:
23.1 dB / 39.8 dB

VPI / VCI:
0/38

Modulation:
G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type:
Fast Path

Capture.PNG

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Broadband reduced from 44mb download to 31mb after engineer visit

Probably a good idea to post your router stats
Message 3 of 9

Hi iniltous, thanks for the reply, I've logged into the router and posted the stats from the advanced settings page. It's a BT Smart Hub.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number but leave exchange and cab

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 9

Hi imjolly, thanks for the reply. I've edited my post to include those results.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Whatever they have don’t hasn’t improved matters, as your max attainable is now 37Mb yet at the end of May you had an observed speed of 42Mb.
Even though the OR engineer has effectively  just left , have you been in the test port and done the 17070 quiet line test and checked for noise ?
If your up time isn’t very long and you are ‘DLM’d  from your current 31Mb to closer to 35Mb it’s still worse that you had previously
I presume the OR engineer meant the cabinet and not the exchange when they mentioned distance, assuming your line is clean ( not impacted ) 40-58Mb is what you would expect, I would be tempted to not close the ‘fault’ ticket 

Message 7 of 9

due to the changes by the engineer you have lost the speed boost from G.INP but that should be activated by DLM in a week or so if you can maintain a stable connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 8 of 9

Appreciate the replies, I had the number of the engineer and left them a message and they kindly just visited again as they had finished another job early.  They said they had switched me onto another pair (whatever that is) and less errors on the line.  Just resynced at 44mb and 10 upload.  I just tried the VDSL checker link (see pic) and weirdly even though I'm synced at 44mb it's saying a  VDSL range of 36-22, any ideas why that is?  I hadn't heard of g.inp speed boost.  When that kicks in and DLM kicks in what could I reasonably expect as a boost from 44mb?  Best wishes,

Capture2.PNG

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

you really now just need to wait and see how your line settles no they have again moved you to a different pair

this is about G.INP

https://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/g.inp