cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pauljfrancis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Broadband regularly drops out

We are on BT Infinity. There are four houses at the end of 1.5 miles of copper cable from the fibre box, all of which use broadband and telephone land line.  The broadband continually drops out at all times but mostly evenings and weekends. I am told it is purely down to capacity on the line. I I have reported to BT many times but when they test it it gives +7MBs when it is actually working.

I know our neighbours are also unhappy and have complained.

It seems that in other parts of the country fibre is being brought to single dwellings.  Devon and Cornwall seem to fair very well

Welcome any views on how to get BT to understand and improve the situation.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Broadband regularly drops out

can you post stats from your router  if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk

enter your phone number and post results  remember delete number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be silent and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Hi @pauljfrancis,

How are things with your connection? Have you tried the quiet line test as suggested by @imjolly?

If your still experiencing issues with your connection, please post back with the information requested and we'll do our best to help get your service repaired.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
pauljfrancis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Hi, yes tried it several times, always silent but still having drop out problems with the broadband. I'm convinced it's down to the traffic on a single copper wire delivering multiple services to four properties. I'm paying for infinity, but definitely not getting it. The problem is that switching provider makes no difference as it all relies on the same bit of old wire.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 9

@pauljfrancis

Can you please provide the information requested by @imjolly

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@pauljfrancis wrote:
Hi, yes tried it several times, always silent but still having drop out problems with the broadband. I'm convinced it's down to the traffic on a single copper wire delivering multiple services to four properties. I'm paying for infinity, but definitely not getting it. The problem is that switching provider makes no difference as it all relies on the same bit of old wire.

Which 'single copper wire' is that then? I can assure you the four properties will have discrete pairs of wires.

0 Ratings
pauljfrancis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

No idea, not technically minded. Just basing my views on a BT engineers comments some years ago, that the wires would never deliver a better service than we are getting.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Nothing to do with the wires themselves, its the laws of physics and the distance you are from the cabinet that determines speed.

However, if you are experiencing dropouts, there is a fault somewhere on the line thatneeds investigation.

0 Ratings
pauljfrancis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 9

Hi

I now have a dedicated diary where I am going to record all drop outs, and duration that I notice . That will be internet not WIFI. I'll record this until January then attempt another fault report.

The problem is that I have reported this at least six times, they have investigated, found problems, replaced some sections of the wire due to corrosion, but have told me that it all needs replacing but they were unable to do this. Presumably due to cost.

The pole outside my house is also leaning out towards the road, this stretches the wiring connected to the house. When I report this they just extend the wire.

I have never closed any of these faults as completed, but after a while they appear closed. 

0 Ratings