cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9

Broadband seemingly creating new networks

Go to solution

Hello, 

I have searched all over for a solution to a slightly odd problem I am having, but noone seems to have answer or even heard of what is happening to my broadband. 

I have a BT smart hub and have not split the channels into 5 and 2.4GHz. Im also using a BT mini connector as my only working phone line is upstairs.

My wifi name is BTHub6-QX3Z, but it seems to randomly create new ones with very similar names, which hang about for a bit and then disappear. I get BTHub-SX3Z, BTJub-QX3Z, BTHub/QX3Z and so on. The BTWi-fi thing (which i assume is the newer equivalent of openzone) also does odd stuff. As I type, my phone is randomly showing BTWi-fi, BTWi-fk, then BT/wi-fi. 

All this means my mobile devices and ipad relentless drop connection. It is less of a problem on my computer for some reason, although that also drops occasionally. The engineer who was round recently for another issue had no idea what was going on. Someone i spoke to at BT on the phone suggested they these were my neighbours wifis! (BTJub, really?!). 

Any solution to this would be helpful. Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Re: Broadband seemingly creating new networks

Go to solution

Yes, they are your neighbour's hubs.

Extremely simple to verify, just turn your hub off and see if they are still visible.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks for the quick reply, but what are the odds of 4 of my neighbours each having a hub which is identical in name to mine except one character, such as the "H" of hub being changed to a "J"? Needless to say, they are not visible when my hub is off. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

You could try a factory reset of the home hub, as its possible that its internal configuration file is corrupted.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

Thanks, so far this does seem to have worked.  Appreciate the help. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

@licquoricewrote:

Yes, they are your neighbour's hubs.

"The arrogance is strong in this one"

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution

Just an update, all the random networks are back. BTHwb6, Wifi-Z, BTwk-fi, BTwi/fi. Surely someone knows why this is happening!

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution

@mark82 wrote:

Just an update, all the random networks are back. BTHwb6, Wifi-Z, BTwk-fi, BTwi/fi. Surely someone knows why this is happening!

It must be a faulty home hub, all you can do is to ask BT for a replacement.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Just thought I'd give an update this on. Got a new hub as part of contract renewal and so far have not noticed any similar issues, so it must have been something wrong with the hub. 

0 Ratings